Waves free 2nd license for WUPed plugins (while WUP lasts)

trager

24 minutes ago, Starise said:

Points all well made Brian.

I bought the laptop thinking I would use it more. I just haven't. Right now it's loaned out to a friend who's laptop went down until they can get their laptop fixed. I use a portable handheld if I go out to get say nature recordings or similar. This is the nice thing about it. We aren't boxed into any one system. I like the Waves idea for people like you.

Ha, the Waves idea is terrible for anyone.    WUP is a terrible practice, and this new model just makes it more palitable for the suckers that buy into it.  

(checked my account, think I paid less for the plugins than what the WUP  costs)

Edited by Brian Walton

What some people miss is that you *can* put your licenses for Waves on any USB stick. Voila! Take your laptop out and you have your Waves licenses with you. This *does not need* WUP to work.

So for me WUP is *not* about a second license.

In years past, my WUP was almost always paid for by new offerings in Mercury at their intro price. Of course once it sent on sale for $29 or $49, not so much.

I own Mercury, Abbey Road Collection, SSL 4000 Collection and the Instrument Collection. I've yet to see anything added to the SSL 4000 collection since I bought it. Abbey Road *always* requires some cost for any new addition due to licensing as does maybe the instrument collection too.

All that said, will I continue to WUP.?

Probably.

I don't expire until December of this year, except my instrument collection did expire in May.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

Well, maybe kind of "devil's" advocate  job is tempting so I would like to express little different opinion...

First of all, let's not forget they started 29$ revolution and without it many manufacturers would like still to sell with very high prices and having nothing to compare we would buy it...

Another thing, yes, this deal is disappointing, after a short happy moment reading comments I realized what it really is... But...

They just started... It doesn't matter too much it is bad deal as it will not hurt us, we will no buy and that's all. Nothing will change.

What matter here imho is they started to consider providing 2 licenses for one plugin.

First try probably will fail... from our point of view and also from theirs...

But some time ago they started to consider completely different model of selling, different main target (not only profi but also homie ;) and they gave us possibility to buy many great plugins for really affordable prices :)

Believe me, I am really for getting more licenses as currently I cannot access my plugins as leaving my previous location 2 months ago I forgot to move them to cloud 😕

So currently I have what they gave free lately...   But I am looking optimistic. They will observe market reaction and I believe their next moves  will be more interesting...

Anyway they picked kind of aggressive model of selling so they need to provide constantly something new and tempting...

Sooner or later they will come to us with much better offers about it ;)

2 minutes ago, Piotr said:

Believe me, I am really for getting more licenses as currently I cannot access my plugins as leaving my previous location 2 months ago I forgot to move them to cloud 😕

Next time keep them on  USB stick. It goes where you go. [SOLVED]

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

What some people miss is that you *can* put your licenses for Waves on a any USB stick. Voila! Take your laptop out and you have your Waves licenses with. This *does not need* WUP to work.

Don't be so cruel ;)  I didn't think of it and constantly moved licenses from comp to cloud and then in other location opposite direction...  :(

Now I feel sorry I didn't buy any dedicated usb stick for it.  Anyway I could forget to grab it with me as well but after few times forgetting of iLok I pay more attention when packing things for move :)

3 minutes ago, Piotr said:

What matter here imho is they started to consider providing 2 licenses for one plugin.

YEs, that's what I was thinking.

4 minutes ago, Piotr said:

as currently I cannot access my plugins as leaving my previous location 2 months ago I forgot to move them to cloud

If for some reason you can't go to that place and get your licenses, you can request a new license. I think you can do that at least once a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Piotr said:

Don't be so cruel ;)  I didn't think of it and constantly moved licenses from comp to cloud and then in other location opposite direction...  :(

Now I feel sorry I didn't buy any dedicated usb stick for it.  Anyway I could forget to grab it with me as well but after few times forgetting of iLok I pay more attention when packing things for move :)

Create a check list of all the things you should grab. Put a mark by the items as you pack them.😛

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

Next time keep them on  USB stick. It goes where you go. [SOLVED]

To be honest it will be solved totally only when I have 2 licenses 🙂 Unless I have usb stick implanted under my skin 😛

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, Grem said:

If for some reason you can't go to that place and get your licenses, you can request a new license. I think you can do that at least once a year.

yes you can

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bapu said:

Create a check list of all the things you should grab. Put a mark by the items as you pack them.😛

It is kind of my habit to forget about something... Sometimes  towel, sometimes shaver, sometimes ilok... :( Not proud of that, maybe packing last minute is not best approach...

3 minutes ago, Grem said:

Yep, I am aware, but current situation in my country is still not quite predictable. Not sure if when I will be moving to my prev location. If in few months I will go for it (anyway interesting how fast Waves would react and permit for it) but if it will be June I will survive somehow with 'thousand'  of other plugins...

But of course for some reason when I have no access I would like to use some Waves plugins badly :) Stupid human nature :(

The announcement should sound like a god sent so why I'm feeling like I'm scammed? Oh yes maybe because they want me to pay not for something like plugin created with efforts and invention but for something I should have got from them a long time ago and for no extra cost?

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

Many of us work on more than one computer and need flexibility. That’s why starting today, you can get a free 2nd license for any eligible plugin covered under the Waves Update Plan—and use that license on a different computer, without having to move licenses between devices. Your 2nd licenses will be valid for the duration of your Waves Update Plan coverage for the main license.

I think the marketing of the new system is somewhat dishonest.  It's designed to drive sales of WUP more than helping the user.
Having to keep tab on which pluggins are currently being used and Wupped is a bigger hassle that moving licenses or using a USB.
There are techniques that could limit the licenses to one floating working installation at a time with a minimum impact on the end user but that would require  a little effort and creativity to implement.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grem said:

Exactly. Which to me means to me they are trying something to sell more WUP. I see that as the original WUP plan ain't working out so well. Not like they thought it would. I ain't buying it. 

But like Starise, I ain't gonna hold it against them. What I have from them works, and works very well for the money I spent. Now that bang-for-buck value would go away if I was forced to WUP. But so far that hasn't happened. Not yet.

I swear i wanted to go wup , but man they keep droping 29 $ plugins , very few releases and half of them not included in mercury , they multiplied collateral bundles ....

osx users maybe have a need for wup but a soolidcwindows system, can be good fir 10 years without the beed if wup !!

• Like 1

I’m not a great fan of USB sticks and dongles, for numerous reasons. When I first saw this I thought Waves was finally allowing two authorizations, like Soundtoys does through ilock  software, sans dongle. Oh well....maybe they’ll forget to revoke the extra license when my WUP expires....not. Will this convince me to keep WUPin?  Hell no.

• 1 year later...

Bah!!! I just got a mail from Waves saying that my second license expires in 7 days! How ridiculous and outdated is this 'update plan??' I really don't want to pay more money for plug ins I already bought once. Is there anyway around this second licensing expiring??