Waves free 2nd license for WUPed plugins (while WUP lasts)

trager

This is sure to stir up all kinds of things.

Quote:

We are pleased to announce two new exciting benefits added to the Waves Update Plan.

2nd LICENSES FOR YOUR PRODUCTS

Many of us work on more than one computer and need flexibility. That’s why starting today, you can get a free 2nd license for any eligible plugin covered under the Waves Update Plan—and use that license on a different computer, without having to move licenses between devices. Your 2nd licenses will be valid for the duration of your Waves Update Plan coverage for the main license.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trager said:

This is sure to stir up all kinds of things.

Quote:

We are pleased to announce two new exciting benefits added to the Waves Update Plan.

2nd LICENSES FOR YOUR PRODUCTS

Many of us work on more than one computer and need flexibility. That’s why starting today, you can get a free 2nd license for any eligible plugin covered under the Waves Update Plan—and use that license on a different computer, without having to move licenses between devices. Your 2nd licenses will be valid for the duration of your Waves Update Plan coverage for the main license.

only valid during WUP?  It would be more cost effective just to re-buy the plugins on sale, thus giving 2 seats per.    Too little to late.

• Like 5

For your products that are still on WUP, you can get a second license.

Only products with current Waves Update Plan coverage are eligible for this option. If you do not see the product(s) for which you want 2nd licenses, you can renew your Waves Update Plan for those products.

8 minutes ago, cclarry said:

First...it should be added to any license that currently has valid WUP...not have to wait until
you BUY WUP.  THAT is the BIG mistake.

3 minutes ago, Barrie said:

For your products that are still on WUP, you can get a second license.

It should apply to all your licenses whether currently covered by WUP or not.
This comes off off as another 1/2 @ssed method of wringing more money from their user base.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 5

I'll give them credit for trying. This means they realize that many other companies allow for more than one PC.

And I agree with Larry that they should allow at the very least two installs for products currently WUP'd. With the second license staying active as long as you don't move it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Wait... So what's the second benefit?

Sorry. The email continues:

EXCLUSIVE PREMIUM CONTENT 

Moving forward, members of the Waves Update Plan will get access and special discounts on exclusive premium masterclasses on mixing and music production. 

Expect more exciting news very soon!

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Grem said:

I'll give them credit for trying. This means they realize that many other companies allow for more than one PC.

And I agree with Larry that they should allow at the very least two installs for products currently WUP'd. With the second license staying active as long as you don't move it.

Almost all other companies give 2 seats per purchase (perpetually) not just tied to basically a subscription model.    I'm not giving them any credit at all on this one.  They are basically just tacking on a subscription cost to get a 2nd seat.  

If they just applied a 2nd seat to everyones account for each plugin they already had. ...I'd give them credit to getting up to industry standard.

• Like 2

Maybe more people than I realized move between two computers often? I didn't see this being a widespread thing. It's wasted on me. I have a laptop for anything I don't do in the studio. If I need it, I grab the usb out of my desktop which is almost never. 

For me, it's  a nice addition to the WUP "just in case". I will probably never use it. I don't begrudge Waves. This appears to be another way to persuade people to upgrade their WUP since this doesn't go backward to older licenses as far as I know.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I was thinking it was the TWO licenses 🤪

The first benefit is how you feel when you WUP to get your second license. The second benefit is how you feel a year later when you WUP again to keep your second license.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Starise said:

Maybe more people than I realized move between two computers often? I didn't see this being a widespread thing. It's wasted on me. I have a laptop for anything I don't do in the studio. If I need it, I grab the usb out of my desktop which is almost never. 

For me, it's  a nice addition to the WUP "just in case". I will probably never use it. I don't begrudge Waves. This appears to be another way to persuade people to upgrade their WUP since this doesn't go backward to older licenses as far as I know.

It is super common to have more than one machine.  When I'm using the laptop, I don't have "free" USB ports to give up, and transfering from USB and ilok to the local machine to use is really annoying for a product I purchased.  Certianly can't give up 1 port let alone 2 since these VSTs have different authorization needs.  Heaven help you if you also use something like Reason with yet another stick.    😂

I use way more than 2 computers, but I also know I'm in the minority on that front.    

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

It is super common to have more than one machine.  When I'm using the laptop, I don't have "free" USB ports to give up, and transfering from USB and ilok to the local machine to use is really annoying for a product I purchased.  Certianly can't give up 1 port let alone 2 since these VSTs have different authorization needs.  Heaven help you if you also use something like Reason with yet another stick.    😂

I use way more than 2 computers, but I also know I'm in the minority on that front.    

Brian I guess I run In different circles. I don't do this for a living. I work in automation which isn't related at all to DAWS. I take my work out sometimes on a laptop for live shows. I guess my exposure is limited. I have a tough time finding the time to track on my one studio DAW. 🙂 Maybe I need to "get out" more.

Edited by Starise

Just now, Zo said:

Translation : you wanna a permanent second licence , renew each year

Exactly. Which to me means to me they are trying something to sell more WUP. I see that as the original WUP plan ain't working out so well. Not like they thought it would. I ain't buying it. 

But like Starise, I ain't gonna hold it against them. What I have from them works, and works very well for the money I spent. Now that bang-for-buck value would go away if I was forced to WUP. But so far that hasn't happened. Not yet.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Starise said:

Brian I guess I run In different circles. I don't do this for a living. I work in automation which isn't related at all to DAWS. I take my work out sometimes on a laptop for live shows. I guess my exposure is limited. I have a tough time finding the time to track on my one studio DAW. 🙂 Maybe I need to "get out" more.

A lot of it has to do with the major influx of people that actually use a laptop for the majority of their work (many of which are not even recording instruments or vocals with regularity).  

I prefer the traditional full blown computer setup.  But will admit that my mobile rig is nice that I can go record somethign and then dock it at home with multiple monitors, USBs, Interface, etc  Without having to transfer files.    With the move to make shift studios and recordings at home instead of always in a real studio, having the mobile options in addition to the real full blown setup at home is really common place.    

I might be working on one project, then need to leave for a mobile session   recording.     Time is valuabe to the pro and non-pro.    

There is also the issue if something goes wrong.  With one seat you are screwed if you HD dies  or that USB stick it was tied to dies.    My experience with WAVES support (and others) means I'm not back up and running in minutes, it could be days or weeks.    With a couple seats, you can move things around if one machine/method just dies.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

A lot of it has to do with the major influx of people that actually use a laptop for the majority of their work (many of which are not even recording instruments or vocals with regularity).  

I prefer the traditional full blown computer setup.  But will admit that my mobile rig is nice that I can go record something and then dock it at home with multiple monitors, USBs, Interface, etc  Without having to transfer files.    With the move to make shift studios and recordings at home instead of always in a real studio, having the mobile options in addition to the real full blown setup at home is really common place.    

I might be working on one project, then need to leave for a mobile session   recording.     Time is valuabe to the pro and non-pro.    

There is also the issue if something goes wrong.  With one seat you are screwed if you HD dies  or that USB stick it was tied to dies.    My experience with WAVES support (and others) means I'm not back up and running in minutes, it could be days or weeks.    With a couple seats, you can move things around if one machine/method just dies.

Points all well made Brian.

I bought the laptop thinking I would use it more. I just haven't. Right now it's loaned out to a friend who's laptop went down until they can get their laptop fixed. I use a portable handheld if I go out to get say nature recordings or similar. This is the nice thing about it. We aren't boxed into any one system. I like the Waves idea for people like you.