How Are McDSP Plugins?

Overall I think they are a good company who make good plugins. You need ilok to use. I had best luck using the hardware iLok. Cloud was slow for me.

I made the false assumption that the HD version was somehow better. Not so. The difference between native and HD is "AAX HD" a PT format.

AAX HD versions will work in  FOH   mixers with compatible OS or standard Pro Tools HD DAW applications. This is  Pro Tools related. Many developers such as Softube and Izotope have dropped support for it.

The native version of the plugin also has AAX as a choice upon download, so it should still run in any application that uses AAX. For Cakewalk all you need is VST.

Edited by Starise
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Starise said:

Overall I think they are a good company who make good plugins. You need ilok to use. I had best luck using the hardware iLok. Cloud was slow for me.

I made the false assumption that the HD version was somehow better. Not so. The difference between native and HD is "AAX HD" a PT format.

AAX HD versions will work in  FOH   mixers with compatible OS or standard Pro Tools HD DAW applications. This is  Pro Tools related. Many developers such as Softube and Izotope have dropped support for it.

The native version of the plugin also has AAX as a choice upon download, so it should still run in any application that uses AAX. For Cakewalk all you need is VST.

Great input. I did see with the company's hardware focus, they are definitely PT oriented. The cost between their native and HD plug-ins is worth noting, so thanks for letting me know for CW the less expensive native is the way to go.