The Kind Of Man Who Does What's Right

Barry Seymour

Good tune & songwriting Barry. I'm on laptop so can't really judge the mix but the vocals seem to be very wide & eq'd where they're not blending with the instruments. Hard to tell, maybe an effect you'e going for & it's not translating over these crappy speakers.

Anyway I enjoyed the song, great job.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Good tune & songwriting Barry. I'm on laptop so can't really judge the mix but the vocals seem to be very wide & eq'd where they're not blending with the instruments. Hard to tell, maybe an effect you'e going for & it's not translating over these crappy speakers.

Anyway I enjoyed the song, great job.

I kind of wanted to go for an isolated, simple sound with the vocals. It's just guitar, bass, lead and a single strings line. (Strings are new to me, I'm lovin' 'em.)

Not my thing, but I do suspect that your Vocal is out of phase or you are using a widen FX on them, which for me here on the Adam's results in the vocal sounding almost three feet in front of the monitors whilst everything else is sort of glued in the middle.

You have obviously spent some time on the lyrics which work well with the tune.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Not my thing, but I do suspect that your Vocal is out of phase or you are using a widen FX on them, which for me here on the Adam's results in the vocal sounding almost three feet in front of the monitors whilst everything else is sort of glued in the middle.

You have obviously spent some time on the lyrics which work well with the tune.  Thanks for sharing.

I used reverb and surround sound on the acoustic guitar and the vocals. I'll review the settings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wookiee said:

That would explain the Haas effect making the vocals sound forward.

This? https://mixcoach.com/creating-depth-the-haas-effect-2/

Intriguing. I'll have to research this.

Interestingly, when I listen to this on my work computer with a single-ear mono headset, I hear no vocals at all! Something weird going on in this mix for sure...

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Like 1

I didn't notice anything unusual about the voc until ~4:40. Just sounded different like maybe different recording environment.
I like the "supposed to be kind of man"  and "got to be kind of man"  like maybe he's not such a devoted husband and just doing what he's doing for appearance.
Nice bass line throughout. I expected a chord change at "I went out for groceries"  IDK it just seemed like it was time for it.
Had some trouble with "asked out on a date" Seemed like a more subtle word is needed there. IMO.

I understand why you're proud of the song. Great job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

Good job Barry - that's a really good song - I enjoyed the listen.  Very sad song - but excellent lyrics.

Regarding the mix - you're vocal is way up front and everything else is way back - but maybe that's what you want.

It kind of is. I want the vocal to sit right inside the listener's head, like this is a personal story.

I have an update, will post momentarily...

I don't know which version I just listened to twice, but I like it a lot.  It does seem like your voice has a presence to it that I rarely hear, and I just love it.  All I would ask for is a louder guitar solo that stands up to the vocal a tad more, but...it's good to go as is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lynn said:

I don't know which version I just listened to twice, but I like it a lot.  It does seem like your voice has a presence to it that I rarely hear, and I just love it.  All I would ask for is a louder guitar solo that stands up to the vocal a tad more, but...it's good to go as is.

I kept going back and forth on that.  In the end, I wanted it to blend more with the strings, kind of like a co-equal voice.

Interesting side note on that, that is a Takamine acoustic guitar with built-in pickups. I used one of the included VSTs and it sounds like frickin' Brian May! (The tone quality, at least.)

This is a do-over; I re-sang the vocals.

• Like 1

Lyrics are great, storytelling is a strength of yours.

I noticed the lack of center, which is acceptable in instruments, but disconcerting in the vocals. But your voice has an awesome timbre!

There's a couple of clipping pops you might want to track down, for example 3:50 and 4:07 - and both of these are at the beginning of a vocal line. Whatever is taking it out of the center is loading, or overloading, the sides. This could be a clue?

If it's a mono vocal (as most are) are you processing it with any stereo plugins? If so, maybe switch 'em out for mono processors, you never know.

Anyhoo, to the extent the song is autobiographical, it's a story very well told and my condolences on your situation.

cheers,

-Tom

10 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Lyrics are great, storytelling is a strength of yours.

I noticed the lack of center, which is acceptable in instruments, but disconcerting in the vocals. But your voice has an awesome timbre!

There's a couple of clipping pops you might want to track down, for example 3:50 and 4:07 - and both of these are at the beginning of a vocal line. Whatever is taking it out of the center is loading, or overloading, the sides. This could be a clue?

If it's a mono vocal (as most are) are you processing it with any stereo plugins? If so, maybe switch 'em out for mono processors, you never know.

Anyhoo, to the extent the song is autobiographical, it's a story very well told and my condolences on your situation.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for the kind words. Again, not my story, thankfully.

A truly heavy tune, well delivered. The only thing I would suggest is that you play the lead line on your accoustic guitar. The introduction of the electric that late in the song almost broke the mood for me. Strong lyrics, nonetheless.

Bert

On 5/24/2020 at 12:26 AM, Bert Guy said:

A truly heavy tune, well delivered. The only thing I would suggest is that you play the lead line on your accoustic guitar. The introduction of the electric that late in the song almost broke the mood for me. Strong lyrics, nonetheless.

Bert

Ironically, it was played on an acoustic guitar, but I added the TH3 guitar effects VST and distorted it. I wanted it to be searing.

Thanks for the input, and the kind words.