Something NEW from Fabfilter - Saturn 2

cclarry

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

OTOH, there's Pro-R, which has no equal IMO.

Hmm.  To me, Pro-R is the weakest plugin in an otherwise stellar lineup.

Shortly after getting Pro-R I put it on everything but then slowly started to replace it with other plugins (even some freebies) because it colors everything that goes through it in such an unpleasent way.  I was really surprised because many instances of C2, Q2, and Saturn can be found in almost all of my projects.

Don't get me wrong, the design -- like all FF plugins -- is fantastic.  And the GUI animation is absolutely mesmerizing -- like a plugin lava lamp.  But the sound is just plain wierd.  Despite reading the entire manual, watching all the videos I could find, and spending many days with the plugin, I was never able to get it to sound good.

Perhaps Pro-R2 will be better (to my ears)...

While I love FF stuff - I'm really waiting either for a kick @***** video demo to show me what secret sauce V2 adds* or until I have time to seriously beat on it.
Not really impressed by what I've seen or heard so far.
The reality is that I will pick it up at some point but right now I've no urge to postpone getting something else to grab it NOW.

*yes, I've seen the list but show me/play me something that will make me care.

Edited by TheSteven

18 hours ago, locrian said:

Hmm.  To me, Pro-R is the weakest plugin in an otherwise stellar lineup.

I didn't say it was better, just that it has no equal.

Truth is, when I want the reverb to be heard, I use one of the Valhalla plugins. Usually the plate. But if I just want natural-sounding spaciousness without an obvious effect (e.g. orchestrations), Pro-R does the job like no other due to its ability to shape decays non-linearly. Nobody else does that, AFAIK.

• Like 3

Saturn sounds really good from the demoes I've seen regarding V1. Is the plug load very heavy with this? I find myself using the Tube plug-in in Pro channel more than I thought I ever would, and wonder if a few intenses  of Saturn would have any significant hit on CPU.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:14 AM, husker said:

Honest question - Fabfilter is really on the high end of plugins.  Are they really that much better?

I only have the pro-l2 limiter and the pro-q3 . . . they sound great, and have awesome GUI.

That pro-q3 eq is an absolute dream to work with.

21 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I didn't say it was better, just that it has no equal.

Truth is, when I want the reverb to be heard, I use one of the Valhalla plugins. Usually the plate. But if I just want natural-sounding spaciousness without an obvious effect (e.g. orchestrations), Pro-R does the job like no other due to its ability to shape decays non-linearly. Nobody else does that, AFAIK.

I do think that Pro R is exellent when i wnat a very specific Curve and behavior , i use it very few , but when needed it does the job with class and pleasure to handle ...

15 hours ago, RBH said:

Saturn sounds really good from the demoes I've seen regarding V1. Is the plug load very heavy with this? I find myself using the Tube plug-in in Pro channel more than I thought I ever would, and wonder if a few intenses  of Saturn would have any significant hit on CPU.

CPU was my concern , unless you oversmapling x 32 lol it's on pair with V1 witch is the good news for me !!! i put myself in Good quality and it's exellent , linear phase hit on cpu is marginal /...