Cakewalk (not responding) with the latest update

Mesh

Hi all,

I installed the latest version of Bandlab and when clicking on Cakewalk icon, it tries to run and then it just  shuts down after a few seconds. I reinstalled the drivers to my audio interface (Axe I/O, reinstalled Bandlab Assistant , rebooted)    still no luck and same result. This has never happened  before, so not really sure what else I can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Using Win10 Prox64

i7-3770k

16GB Ram

SSD boot drive   & another for samples

HDD for projects

Cheers,

Mesh

JeiqfF.jpg

18 hours ago, Mesh said:

Hi all,

I installed the latest version of Bandlab and when clicking on Cakewalk icon, it tries to run and then it just  shuts down after a few seconds. I reinstalled the drivers to my audio interface (Axe I/O, reinstalled Bandlab Assistant , rebooted)    still no luck and same result. This has never happened  before, so not really sure what else I can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Using Win10 Prox64

i7-3770k

16GB Ram

SSD boot drive   & another for samples

HDD for projects

Cheers,

Mesh

JeiqfF.jpg

Update your windows .Net 

51 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Update your windows .Net 

Thanks Will!

BTW,  I'm on Win Version 1903

OS   Build   18362.720

Would this be the correct version of .Net?

swyK4l.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah - this seems like your Windows maintenance is possibly not current - even if automatic updates are set to take place, there are optional updates that require explicit direction from the user, to tell Windows Update to install them.

And,  it is also possible some Visual C++ runtime distributables are not installed.  There are multiple versions of these, and when programs get linked, they become dependent on certain versions of these routines, so that is why you will see many of them if you go to Control Panel and click on the Uninstall a Program link, which opens up to display what is installed on the computer.

4 hours ago, Mesh said:

Thanks Will!

BTW,  I'm on Win Version 1903

OS   Build   18362.720

Would this be the correct version of .Net?

swyK4l.jpg

Yeah. Go ahead. When you're done updating the missing files in .NET2.0 grab the 4.8 update too. It will work better with the Noverber 2019 update from 1903 to 1909. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Still no luck.....don't know how to fix this.  Although it says 'Pause for 7 days', I have it set for 5/18/20  in Advanced Options.   I'm guessing I have to wait until tomorrow for the update to take place? 

I also Googled and did the Microsoft recommendations (check SDD disk space,  set    Metered Connection etc...) but still no luck.  

9y8Evk.jpg 

I sometimes get stuck too. I have one machine that is still on 1903 and won't budge. Try changing your active hours to the whole day. 

The other thing that seems to work is to keep re booting a few times. 

Re boot, open Windows update. Re boot etc..

• Thanks 1

While you are probably better off getting the OS updated to answer your question

13 hours ago, Mesh said:

Hi John,

Yeah it worked. Should I try an older version and if yes, where can I find it?

there is a rollback installer link in

• Thanks 1

The issue for me is that if CbB decides to do something funky, troubleshooting it pretty much impossible. Yes, there is always someone that will post that they have  been using it since 1956 without any problems but there are many people that have it go totally goofy without any obvious changes.  Just when I think I have it dialed in, it decides to go south. I decided that constantly posting with the latest weirdness just isn't worth it.

I get that the team is at the mercy of the shoddy plug-ins we want to load and can't deal with every corner case. Got it. But it's pretty unpredictable if today is the day it decides to close without warning, fail to export without hanging, needs a system reboot or crashes on TTS or V-Vocal ...

It could be better.

Edited by Terry Kelley

7 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

The issue for me is that if CbB decides to do something funky, troubleshooting it pretty much impossible. Yes, there is always someone that will post that they have  been using it since 1956 without any problems but there are many people that have it go totally goofy without any obvious changes.  Just when I think I have it dialed in, it decides to go south. I decided that constantly posting with the latest weirdness just isn't worth it.

I get that the team is at the mercy of the shoddy plug-ins we want to load and can't deal with every corner case. Got it. But it's pretty unpredictable if today is the day it decides to close without warning, fail to export without hanging, needs a system reboot or crashes on TTS or V-Vocal ...

It could be better.

As with anything things    could always be better,  but considering   all the work that's been put into BandLab  for free.....we have a  LOT to be thankful for.  I've seen more updates/bug fixes/support from the current folks at BandLab than when it was a paid version. So, I'm very grateful for all that they do (even if they shut down today).  

Back on topic:    it looks like Windows Update is the culprit in my case and not Cakewalk software.

9 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

they're both DX instruments, if that helps troubleshoot

Hi Pwalpwal,

I've done a lot of testing around TSS and V-Vocal problems. About the only conclusive thing I can say it that if you plan on using either, use them early in the project because at some point they will stop working. I've tried everything suggested in the last decade and nothing conclusively works.  Maybe Direct X changes, maybe they were never stable in the first place (that sounds true for V-Vocal), maybe other changes exposed their issues ... who knows.

V-Vocal hates effects. If you installed any effects (like compressors, eq, etc.) it will likely crash on one of them while creating the region. Remove them all and it will crash on Cronus. Open a new instance in CbB and copy over the audio and you have a better than 50-50 chance V-Vocal will work. Again, this is a function of using it early in the project with no other plugins. But be prepared to have to close CbB completely, then open it with your temporary audio file and for god-sakes don't add any plug-in. Don't. Don't even think about. Oh, and just to give you hope it will work with lots of plug-ins, being used later in the project and without rendering immediately to make you think you have it fixed. Fool.

TTS is similar. Add it early in the project. Adding it later risks it not wanting to insert or play anything without a crash. Too bad because it is a very decent synth.

The crashes are access violations. That can be caused by many things in Windows. It's not practical for the average Joe to follow it through memory and see where it's jumping out.

I've figured out some work arounds in case I need to use either but I do what I can to avoid them. I also don't report the issues anymore. :)

4 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Hi Pwalpwal,

I've done a lot of testing around TSS and V-Vocal problems. About the only conclusive thing I can say it that if you plan on using either, use them early in the project because at some point they will stop working. I've tried everything suggested in the last decade and nothing conclusively works.  Maybe Direct X changes, maybe they were never stable in the first place (that sounds true for V-Vocal), maybe other changes exposed their issues ... who knows.

V-Vocal hates effects. If you installed any effects (like compressors, eq, etc.) it will likely crash on one of them while creating the region. Remove them all and it will crash on Cronus. Open a new instance in CbB and copy over the audio and you have a better than 50-50 chance V-Vocal will work. Again, this is a function of using it early in the project with no other plugins. But be prepared to have to close CbB completely, then open it with your temporary audio file and for god-sakes don't add any plug-in. Don't. Don't even think about. Oh, and just to give you hope it will work with lots of plug-ins, being used later in the project and without rendering immediately to make you think you have it fixed. Fool.

TTS is similar. Add it early in the project. Adding it later risks it not wanting to insert or play anything without a crash. Too bad because it is a very decent synth.

The crashes are access violations. That can be caused by many things in Windows. It's not practical for the average Joe to follow it through memory and see where it's jumping out.

I've figured out some work arounds in case I need to use either but I do what I can to avoid them. I also don't report the issues anymore. :)

V-Vocal was deprecated long ago, so while hopefully it will work for folks who choose to still use it, it has had zero maintenance, so that is more a case of it being frozen in time while the rest of the universe continues.

I would like to add, that if a crash occurs when a plugin is in control, Cakewalk has zero opportunity to do anything, as it is not in control.  It will always be that way.

And, the reason you see folks see that others point out that they are not having issues with a given set of steps, or a given plugin, going back to 1924, is because they are pointing out that since it works on certain computers and not on others, it is because whatever is going on is not a general failure in following those steps or using that plugin, they are pointing it out because the failures are affected by local conditions on the computers that are experiencing the crashes.  That is usually caused by some set of maintenance not being current - whether Windows maintenance, or one or more Visual Basic C++ Runtime Redistributables being missing.  (the runtime redistributables being missing is a very common cause for the access violation crashes in plugins).

I am going to post a thread with the various download links for the different versions of the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ Runtime Redistributables, and it lists them in oldest to newest versions, and a couple of them have updates, which I list following the original version, to keep the ordering correct.  Perhaps your system would run better, with less crashes, if you installed these - they go back to 2005, and if applications are linked to a specific one of these versions of the redistributables, they may require it to be present, in order to work properly, so installing them will put into place that which they need for the programs that reference them to work correctly.

Bob Bone