Clean Audio Folder use halted by Version files?

winkpain

When choosing a product folder for the CAF tool, it always gives me the Unreadable files window showing what I believe are the files from the Versioning function (if used). These files have the project name and  ~time-date-stamp appended to their names.

The window is then advising me not to proceed before "restoring" these files. As I have Versioning on by default, this effectively halts all CAF operations for me. What is the correct way to proceed here? Why do the version files created by Cakewalk itself cause confusion for Cakewalk's  CAF tool?

On 5/16/2020 at 2:10 PM, winkpain said:

Why do the version files created by Cakewalk itself cause confusion for Cakewalk's  CAF tool?

Because the version files reference the old audio you are looking to remove with the CAF.  Delete the version files and then run the CAF.

FWIW Craig Anderton had a tip on the old forum about using the "Consolidate Project Audio" utility for this purpose.  Run the utility. It will create a "Backup" file inside the audio folder. In Windows Explorer move the "Backup" file up a level to the "Project" folder. Then rename the "Audio" folder (I usually name it "Delete"). Then rename the "Backup" folder to "Audio".  Then you should run the project to verify it works properly before deleting the old folder.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

Because the version files reference the old audio you are looking to remove with the CAF.  Delete the version files and then run the CAF.

FWIW Craig Anderton had a tip on the old forum about using the "Consolidate Project Audio" utility for this purpose.  Run the utility. It will create a "Backup" file inside the audio folder. In Windows Explorer move the "Backup" file up a level to the "Project" folder. Then rename the "Audio" folder (I usually name it "Delete"). Then rename the "Backup" folder to "Audio".  Then you should run the project to verify it works properly before deleting the old folder.

Gotcha. Thanks!  So having the habit of always deleting Version files (if no longer needed) before calling for CAF seems to be the easiest solution, if a bit cumbersome. The "Consolidate" idea is good, but even more cumbersome. Ideally we would have an option for a "Clean Audio Folder and Save Project" as a one-step choice in the File menu to be added.

It would seem better if CW were smart enough to see Version files (say, if you want to keep them), and then assume that the associated audio files, if different from the "official" project, will be kept and therefore not included in the Delete Files window, rather than being "confused" by them and simply stopping the CAF process every time.