Missing audio

Kirby H

Hey all. New to forum, and need your help.  I created new project with 5 audio tracks.  Track 1-Bass, Track 2- Rythm guitar, Track 3 we tried to set up for lead vocals. Used sound on sound feature to record 2nd track, so we could hear Bass track and record rhythm on track 2.  Tried to duplicate for track 3, but no luck.  I wanted to record vocals on own track, and looked okay.  I armed the track and meter indicated michrophone was live, and to test I pushed play and lost the mic. Then I though I That figured out, and after arming track I hit record on menu bar, but track 1, & 2 bled over, and no vocal recorded.  Stopped, rewound and hit play and all I got was some high pitched hum.  I didn't want to mess around to much because the Bass, and rhythm was perfect, and I didn't want to loose them. I'm new to DAW, with a little experience with Multi Track digital units, but I'm eager to figure DAW out. Any advice? Thanks in advance...

Sound on sound mode will record on a track without erasing what's already on that track. Don't use it to record vocals. Use Comp mode to record your vocal. You won't lose anything on any other track as long as you don't arm them for recording.

I don't follow the rest of your post. Maybe you should get started by looking at this tutorial on YouTube, which will tell you what all the buttons and controls do. Part 2 will walk you through your first recording. Good luck.

Hey,

Thank you for responding. I tried to be as effective as possible in relaying my issue, but I kinda knew it had something to do with recording mode. So, if I'm understanding correctly do I use the comping mode in just the track I'm wanting vocals on, or when switching to comping mode does it apply to entire project? I tried to apply sound on sound individually, but that didn't seem to work. I'll watch, and entirely enjoy the tutorials you suggested, I can assure you. Thank you so much.

Whatever recording mode you select from the button in the Control Bar (at the top of the window), it will apply to any subsequent tracks you record -- but you can change it whenever you want. Generally, your default recording mode should be comp. You'll see why, and you'll also find out why you might want to use one of the other modes