Is there a way to set Cakewalk to disable input monitoring on startup?

Is there a way to set Cakewalk to disable input monitoring on startup? What happens all too frequently to me is that I open a project with a live mic, and get a blast of feedback until I disable the offending track's "input echo". I personally do not ever want input monitoring to be saved with the project - I can think of no reason why I would ever feel burdened by the need to turn it on, while it often creates problems - but presumably this is something other people like, or it would not be designed this way. Obviously it would be a fine thing if I remembered every time to mute my monitors, but it occurs to me that the option to have input monitoring turned off automatically whenever a project is open might a useful feature, perhaps even one already implemented. Thanks you.

Well sure, I don't have input monitoring set on my templates for new projects. 

What specifically happens is that I am using a Cakewalk project to set up audio for live streaming, so that I have the input monitoring enabled on a track, and I'm listening on headphones. I'm also recording at the same time, so I save as I  exit. When I then open the project up again later to continue streaming/recording, if my monitors are not muted, then I get feedback. Obviously it would be great if I remembered to disable input echo before saving, but there are a lot of things going on at once, you know...

The point is that there is never a time when I need to have input monitoring turned on when I open a project, since I can easily enable it at will, but there is often a time when having it enabled is detrimental. So, I'm asking whether it's possible to set it to default to "off", ie for it not to be saved as an element of the project.

Yes, exactly, my templates do not have input monitoring. However, in the midst of my endeavors, I sometimes save an existing project with input monitoring set. Since there is no reason I would ever need input monitoring set when I re-open that project, I am looking for a way to set Cakewalk to disable input monitoring when opening existing projects.

Thanks - that's closer to what I'm looking for, but it is only operational during playback - so that when I open a project, any channels set to input monitoring will still be active.  I actually want input monitoring to work exactly the same as it does, but simply to have input echo state set to "off" when I open a project.

Can anyone think of a reason why you would want the input echo state to be saved with a project? It seems so easy to turn it on as necessary.

14 hours ago, btbrock said:

Can anyone think of a reason why you would want the input echo state to be saved with a project? It seems so easy to turn it on as necessary.

When using Aux Tracks, Input Echo has to be active otherwise they don't work as intended.

Would be pretty bad if their status would not be saved with the project.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:35 AM, Klaus said:

When using Aux Tracks, Input Echo has to be active otherwise they don't work as intended.

Would be pretty bad if their status would not be saved with the project.

hmmm... with regards to aux tracks, having fiddled with it a little, this is actually a good example demonstrating exactly what I'm looking for.

When you change the input of an aux track from the "aux" to an audio input, Cakewalk turns off input echo. Then, when you switch the input back to an Aux, Cakewalk automatically turns on input echo. This makes sense, because, as you note, the whole purpose of the aux track is to monitor its input. On the other hand, it's logical to turn off input monitoring when you switch to a live input, precisely because there could be a live mic on that channel.

What I'd like is for Cakewalk to take the same action when I open a project - check to see if any live inputs are being monitored, and disable them. It would be best if this was an option, just for the odd case where it's necessary to save the state with the project - perhaps someone has a large live-recording template that they need to load up quick to record rehearsals, for example.

I guess I can assume that such a feature doesn't exist, or at least it isn't well-known enough so that we here in the Cakewalk community know about it.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by btbrock
error fix