Vintage organs plugin wont work

Hi all,

I got Vintage Organs from Native Instruments  as a plugin and downloaded it. It is now in my cakewalk VST folder and can be seen when I use the cakewalk plugin manager, see screenshot. So I scan it for new plugins, and presumably Cakewalk  looks in this folder but... it doesnt  then end up  in the plugins for some reason. Any ideas what I have done wrong|?

Capture.PNG

Vintage Organs is a Kontakt library, not a plugin. That’s why it will never show up in your list of plugins. You will however see it in the list of available libraries when inserting Kontakt or Kontakt Player into a project.

Edited by Canopus
  • Like 1

Nope sorry, dont get it, complete novice. I downloaded Komplete Control, and somehow ended up with loads of their products I neither want nor need. I do however have Vintage Organ installed, having handed over my money to t em. But from here I am clueless as to what I do to get the darn thing into my project.  How do I "insert" Kontakt? All I want is a decent Hammond sound, and then  get on with making music.  Any help appreciated! 

The title seems to indicate that your organs are "vintage"--and therein lies your problem. Organs, once removed from a living or recently deceased host, can only survive for a very limited time. To be able to work properly they must be reconnected to a recipient within a matter of hours, a time that can be extended by transport under  refrigeration, and there is promising work being done on extra-corporeal circulation that may provide an even longer window, but in general it is clearly best to work with fresh organs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

Nope sorry, dont get it, complete novice. I downloaded Komplete Control, and somehow ended up with loads of their products I neither want nor need. I do however have Vintage Organ installed, having handed over my money to t em. But from here I am clueless as to what I do to get the darn thing into my project.  How do I "insert" Kontakt? All I want is a decent Hammond sound, and then  get on with making music.  Any help appreciated! 

No, not Komplete Kontrol. You’ll need Native Instruments Kontakt to play Kontakt libraries. There are two versions of Kontakt: the full (and quite expensive) Kontakt, and the free Kontakt Player. The former works with all Kontakt libraries (including all third-party ones), while the latter only works with libraries authorized by Native Instruments. But as Vintage Organs is a Kontakt library sold directly by Native Instruments, the free Kontakt Player should be possible to use. Unless you already have Kontakt and/or Kontakt Player installed, you can download the latter for free from here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6-player/ . Of course, the Kontakt Player plug-in must also be scanned after installation. This is done either automatically or manually depending on your settings in Preferences.

Kontakt is then inserted into your CbB project just as any other VSTi, either by dragging the Kontakt Player VSTi from the browser into Track View, or using the Add Track button in the CbB Track View, clicking the Instrument tab and then selecting Kontakt Player from the Instrument drop-down menu.

To load an instrument in Kontakt, you simply expand the “Instruments” tab below the target library in the left-hand pane by clicking on it and then navigate until you find files called *.nki (see picture below). You then drag the *.nki file you would like to load into the right-hand pane. After the selected instrument has loaded (this might take a few seconds depending on the library size), you’re good to go. Note: if you don't see the left-hand pane, you'd have to click the third button in the Kontakt top menu and make sure "Browser" is checked.

This is how Vintage Organs looks on my computer when everything is installed and the library has been loaded into Kontakt. In this case I have loaded the instrument "Tonewheel Organ B3.nki" located under the Default folder. Good luck.

Ym5dKCH.png

Edited by Canopus
Hopefully made this post more easy to follow.

Okay, so I have Kontakt downloaded and its in "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt\Kontakt.exe" But when I try to add this path to VST Plugins in Preferences, ( VST scan paths) the path doesnt show the final part i.e. the exe file kontakt.exe It simply ends at Native Instruments/Kontakt.

So when then I do a scan it still doesnt add Kontakt to my plugins and hence I cant add it to the track by using the "insert" command or the drop down from the "add instrument" in Cakewalk. See screenshot

Annotation 2020-05-18 182515.png

Kontakt comes in two forms: as a stand-alone executable and as a VST plug-in. The VST is most likely stored in the folder c:\program files\native instruments\vstplugins 64bit. Anyway that’s where it will be installed by default. Make sure you’ve got the path to that folder included in the CbB scan paths and then scan again.

The Kontakt.exe you are mentioning is the stand-alone program. You never add paths to executables in the VST scan path. Of course, you could alternatively run Vintage Organs using the stand-alone Kontakt executable, but that would be outside CbB so you wouldn’t be able to record to your projects. I think that we should try to keep this setup as straight-forward as possible and primarily make the Kontakt Player plug-in accessible inside CbB.

Okay, making progress here! Thanks.

So...See screenshot, I'm up to the "good to go" stage! Big knowledge gap. Up to now,  I use VST plugins for existing tracks for example a guitar solo, and simply open the effect within the track and the guitar solo is given the particular sound I choose. (THU plugin) All simple.

But how do I get the vintage organ sound to alter my existing organ solo, which I recorded and originally played on my Juno keyboard? Or do I have to set it up as a midi controller? ( hope not|) Can I simply drag something to the Juno track and it alters the sound? Or do I need to do a new track with Vintage Organs set up on it? Sorry these are dumb questions its all new to me.

Annotation 2020-05-18 182515.png

Great that you’ve got things at least partly going.

However, I’m not sure I understand your next step. Is your organ solo from the Juno recorded as MIDI or have you recorded its audio? How old is your Juno? Does it even support MIDI Out? The input to Vintage Organs should be MIDI based, but I get a feeling that you are searching for a way to put an effect on your existing audio clip. If so, at least I don’t know of any way to make Vintage Organs do that for you.

Unless I’m mistaken, I see two options: you either re-record your solo once again as MIDI using Vintage Organs. Once it’s stored as MIDI you can use whatever drawbars, effects and amps that comes with the plug-in to tweak the sound. But of course, that requires a keyboard that supports MIDI Out. Or, optionally, you can try to find an effect that does what you’re looking for and apply it to the existing audio clip. But I don’t know what effect that would be.

As for the general error, I have no idea what might be causing that.

2 hours ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

do I need to do a new track with Vintage Organs set up on it?

If the recorded track is MIDI, you just change the MIDI track's output to the synth, i.e. if the MIDI track output is set to the Juno, just change it to Kontakt.
Disclaimer: I don't have Kontakt and don't know if it operates the same as the synths I do have.

Thanks guys. Okay I was under a bit of a misapprehension. But I've bought the Vintage Organ package  now so I need to get it sorted. I struggle with MID,l 'cos I I'm a bit of a luddite but I really need to get my act together and learn how to use it. The Juno DS is only a year old so its fine to use as a MIDI controller(?) I'll get started tomorrow. But really appreciate the help, and patience with a novice.