Recording mic and guitar onto same track help

Luke

Question

Hi, 

I'm pretty new to home recording and I've just downloaded cakewalk by bandlab and bought the USB audio interface Behringer UM2. 

Everythings set up and ready to go apart from this slight problem when I go to record acoustic guitar and vocals together. I want them to be recorded onto the same audio track but when I go to record (on stereo option) they playback vocals in left and guitar in right. Is there a way to get them to playback in stereo? 

Hope this makes sense. 

Thanks in advance! 

Luke 

2 answers to this question

The 2 inputs are mono. It is a mono mic and a mono guitar. There is no stereo.

You record on a stereo track. So you have mono mic on the left channel and mono guitar on the right channel. Not much you can do.

Instead, record to 2  mono tracks, one for microphone, choosing the UM2 Left as input, and one for guitar, choosing UM2 Right as the input. Send both to the Master. The Master now has  "stereo."

You can use the Pan on the 2 input tracks to get the stereo layout you want.

You are never going to get true stereo because the mic is mono and the guitar is mono. So all you can do is decide to put both on the extreme left. Or both in the exact middle. Or one in the middle and one off to the right a bit. Or one left, and one right, just a bit off center.

Another benefit is you can process the mic and the guitar differently because they are on separate tracks.

• Thanks 1

Each channel of the audio interface is recorded separately.

In this case, it is best to record each channel on its own track rather than both channels into a stereo track.

To do so, set the input of one track to the left side of channel one and the other to the right.

Then use the DAW to mix the two track as desired.

To break out the existing track into two tracks

• Choose Bounce to Track(s) from the Track View Tracks menu
  • Set the Source Category to Tracks
  • Set Channel Format to Split Mono
  • Make sure the track is selected and click OK

This will create two tracks from the original track, one panned hard left and one panned hard right.

Archive or delete the original track.

Adjust the pan and levels of the new tracks as desired.

• Thanks 1