Audio.

Gummi3ear

Question

I know I've been posting a lot, but it seems like nothing but problems I've been encountering.

and this has also been a constant issue. I've tried my realtek onboard audio driver, VB cable/Voicemeeter engine. They work, but fail horribly, on so many occasions. I've probably uninstalled 3-4 times of all of these, including cakewalk. I've tweaked settings....I get playback for a good run but then boom....fails. but no warnings from cakewalk. I'd really like to actually create music, not try to figure out problems for a software I didn't make myself. 

I'm starting to think that this software was actually a troll move. and it's called cakewalk but insanely difficult to mangle.

3 answers to this question

EDIT: I am not allowed to used usb powered head sets. and if I try to switch out earbuds (not good for producing) with a pair of razer usb headphones, I am forced to close cakewalk, open it, open audio devices, uncheck any active, close it, reopen cakewalk, recheck realtek asio driver, close it again, and reopen it just to get something back. And then I can only get sound back from the earbuds.

Yes, I adjusted computer settings in audio. So it most def is cakewalk. So frustrating!!!! 

Cakewalk is actually a professional digital audio workstation software.  If there is a weak part in your DAW, it's your sound card.  If you want to get serious with recording, then an external sound card is the way to go.  It doesn't have to be expensive or a "pro" model, but relying on your Realtek card is troublesome.  Also, the Realtek ASIO driver is the worst. 

At this point, I would suggest using WASAPI Share driver mode.  I'm not sure that will do, so I strongly suggest at some point you invest in an external sound card.  You'll be surprised by the quality and ease of use a better card will give you.

I hear your frustration, but I hope my advice will give you some incentive.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Yes, forget about RealTek ASIO try the WASAPI (if running Win10), WDM and finally MME driver modes in that order.

Some get acceptable results with ASIO4All. If you choose to go that route, make sure to uninstall the RealTek ASIO driver as no device should have more than one ASIO driver installed.

When adding different audio devices keep in mind there is a restriction imposed by ASIO that only one I/O driver at a time may be used by the DAW.

Things like USB headphones and microphones are separate devices each with their own driver.

Driver modes other than ASIO do not impose this limitation. Also ASIO4All while it looks like an ASIO driver to the DAW is actually a wrapper for WDM drivers. Its control software has provisions for aggregating multiple drivers for different devices.