Feature Request: View -> Auto Track Zoom should switch on clip selection

Josh Wolfer

Simple request. I love the auto track zoom. Makes it really easy to have quick focusing on a track at a time. But the fact that I have to click on the track on the left side, is a little counter intuitive. Usually, if I need to zoom a track, it's because I need to adjust an envelope or edit a clip and nudge it around and I want to better see the wave form or have better precision when modifying envelope nodes. 

As such, I'd like an option to make it so if I click on a clip in a track, it automatically switches zoom to the track that contains that clip. 

Additional thought: 

• If I have clips that are grouped, should all tracks with the grouped clips be zoomed together? Probably not. This could be a nightmare, especially if working on a full set of acoustic drum tracks. 
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wantedand bump this because it's still hindering my work flow. Decided to take a video clip to show what I mean. In it, I have auto track zoom enabled and I click on a clip in a different track because I want modify the clip gain, but it's a two step process. I have to manually change track focus to switch the zoom:
C1753AEF-3AEC-413B-B560-91E82B3C4F1A.GIF.ad389a9c123c3092cc859b7a7c5fb6ea.GIF

It doesn't help that my main monitor is 49" extra ultra wide. It's quite the journey to travel from the middle of track view, all the way over to click the track on the left. That's a big part of the issue. 

My native resolution is : 5120x1440. Imagine if that clip was further away. ;)

2020-08-09_16-13-13.thumb.jpg.4239d34d55026139493c6daab46f9601.jpg

8 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Only a workaround, but you could be a bit faster in your example, if you double-click an empty area of the Track you want to expand. 

YzhDNMl.gif

Oh snap! This is indeed a great workaround! I wasn't aware of this short cut to switch track selection. THANKS!