Nigel Mackay

Question

Remixing 60s standards.

What I did:
Opened a MIDI file.
Saved it as a project.
Added an audio track.
Imported the reference mp3.
Adjusted the start point and tempo so MIDI and reference match exactly.

Initially all my timing seemed ok.

Started bouncing the MIDI to audio tracks.
The bounced audio tracks play at the correct speed.
The MIDI tracks not yet bounced now (suddenly) play too fast.
The events list keeps up, but the sound overtakes the PRV. It is as if the MIDI tracks are busy playing in their own lookahead buffer.
The MIDI tracks finish the piece before the audio tracks and the reference track.

If I bounce a track to audio, the audio track is in perfect sync with the reference (and the PRV). But the MIDI still plays faster and finishes the piece earlier than the audio.

If it helps, here are my settings.

Read ahead problem - driver settings.jpg

Read ahead problem - playback and recording.jpg

Read ahead problem - sync and chaching.jpg

5 answers to this question

Different piece of music, but similar problem.

Project has 17 instruments, 8 of which are Kontakt. Only midi in the project. When I bounce to audio the resulting audio lags behind real time. The lag varies over the length of the piece. No two tracks have the same lag - they go in and out of sync while playing.

No FX on any channel.

Split project up into 3 sub-projects, paring the instruments down. Bounced audio is 100% ok.

I have Realtek on my motherboard. Normally use WASAPI shared, but tried WASAPI exclusive. Doesn't help.

Tried archiving all midi and instruments except the one being bounced, doesn't help.

i3 at 3GHz. While bouncing using 50% of CPU, 7.3GB out of 20GB RAM. Idle CPU is 12%.

In a 4m18s piece the end lag is a 1/16th note at 120bpm.

Driver/audio settings as above.

Edited by Nigel Mackay

Cakewalk uses MME as midi driver  which is very old piece of software but highly compatible with many Os's and Sound cards.

I also have a desync problem between midi MME-audio ASIO (very low latency) or MME-WASAPI shared, or MME-WASAPI exlusive (lower than shared latency but Not ASIO). i tried everything and midi responds faster every time which is odd cause MME are not low latency driver. May be is the X-fi titanium.

BUT there is - if it helps - Under the Midi Events Chase  an offset of millisec (positive or negative) -supposing at the bios you have disabled (a.Turbo speed, b.All C-states,

c. Cool and quiet tech if exists or Intel similar tech) ,  you must run cpu flat - if heated try less Mhz from bios.

Another issue is the .mp3 file . Work with uncompressed files having the same properties like the channels you record (If your audio track-channel rec is at 44100 16-bit 

so must be your index file. in other words you have to match similar things for good syncro or every performance may be different cause of OS and CPU..

Ah, and get rid of network Services surely and indexing (OS) of files during Record through the manage of services. 

i will be glad to read experiences.....

Excuse me,  under the Full chase lock is the Timing Offset between Midi and Audio (if positive Audio delay to start, if negative Midi delay to start...)

but the Full Chase Lock always tries to sync Midi with Audio in every beat with - in my opinion - causes a feeling of unstable chronically beat in hearing between them.

but there is Also  Audio Snap Function (It is described in the book reference... Download  the .pdf file)