Windows Update Changes

dotonemanband

After the latest windows update (yesterday) I get this notice when opening Cakewalk  … "Wrong Comuter ID. Possible problem with authorizantion. Please make sure that your host is not run in compability mode. If this is not the case run the XLN Online installer to authorize and likewise check that it is not run in compability mode. "

What is compability mode and how can I correct this?  Cakewalk wouldn't open Addictive Drums 2 as an example. 

Are you guys running Win 10 and if so are you logged in on a local account or on a Microsoft account? Our studio PC had somehow reverted to a Microsoft account recently and we had this problem with a few plugins. It took me a while to notice it had changed over as I had arrived when it was already booted up and being used. My home PC, with exactly all the same plugins etc is on a local account and has had no such issues. I remember switching it to a local account as soon as I installed Win 10 and have never had to re-register anything since then. I also made sure that all audio, midi and Daw connected software had full write permissions and changed the ownership to me! Write permissions are crazy on a Microsoft account.

Worth having a look at I think.

• Thanks 1

I have had this happen several times while using a local Windows 10 Pro account.

This is an issue with the computer hardware ID (fingerprint) being changed, and has nothing to do with the user ID. This makes it appear as if you are running on a different computer than that which was used to originally  authorize with.

Normally your hardware ID should only change if you have swapped some hardware, but unfortunately the major Windows feature updates do this as well.

Edited by abacab

Sorry I think we need to clarify this, "and has nothing to do with the user ID". Lets leave the Microsoft updates out of  the equation for the moment because we know they can cause this type off issue as abacab correctly stated. Changing from a Microsoft account to a local account most certainly can cause this issue of plugins needing to be registered again also and it all depends on whether you installed your VSTs under a Microsoft account or a local account in the first place I think! It is to do with permissions.... a mind boggling Windows invention.

Note this: A day or two after the latest update, switching from  a Microsoft account to a local account disabled our copy of Addictive Drums instantly on the studio PC along with a couple of Izotope plugins. Just re register them and we were fine. These same plugins worked fine after the update with us. It was changing to local account which de-registered them.

So all we were offering here was another reason for plugins needing to be registered again. It seems Windows update caused the original problem for dotonemanband and that's fine as he has it sorted now. But.....what we found was another reason for this issue and it should not be so easily dismissed, with all due respect to those who have posted on this, as it may sort the issue for other people. After all we are trying help people sort problems and all "cures" should be taken into account.

7 hours ago, sealesb said:

Sorry I think we need to clarify this, "and has nothing to do with the user ID". Lets leave the Microsoft updates out of  the equation for the moment because we know they can cause this type off issue as abacab correctly stated. Changing from a Microsoft account to a local account most certainly can cause this issue of plugins needing to be registered again also and it all depends on whether you installed your VSTs under a Microsoft account or a local account in the first place I think! It is to do with permissions.... a mind boggling Windows invention.

Note this: A day or two after the latest update, switching from  a Microsoft account to a local account disabled our copy of Addictive Drums instantly on the studio PC along with a couple of Izotope plugins. Just re register them and we were fine. These same plugins worked fine after the update with us. It was changing to local account which de-registered them.

So all we were offering here was another reason for plugins needing to be registered again. It seems Windows update caused the original problem for dotonemanband and that's fine as he has it sorted now. But.....what we found was another reason for this issue and it should not be so easily dismissed, with all due respect to those who have posted on this, as it may sort the issue for other people. After all we are trying help people sort problems and all "cures" should be taken into account.

The topic at the top of the page is "Windows update changes". and the OP had stated that he had just updated prior to their  trouble with authorization.

The context of my statement here was meant to be taken in relation to the current thread, not as some global rule.

I was not dismissing your suggestion,  but it didn't directly relate to the OP's stated issue.

Your observation is interesting, and that info will certainly  be useful in a broader context for troubleshooting plugin authorization issues. But I truly doubt that many folks are frequently switching back and forth between local and Microsoft accounts.  Although, as you have obviously experienced, it can happen.

I totally agree that the topic was Windows update changes. I also agree that people rarely switch back and forth between a local account and a Microsoft one, especially us more savvy DAW users. I build and maintain audio PCs and laptops for friends so have come upon this issue of the actual Windows update causing a reversion to a Microsoft account on a few occasions. I was in touch with Microsoft about it when I first noticed it and they said it shouldn't happen but suggested that the Windows update catalog on a PC can become corrupt and the PC can revert to a Microsoft account to get the correct updates. So I ran one of their pieces of software for repairing/ replacing it on the offending PC at the time and the issue has never arisen since on that particular PC. Just an obscure issue but worth keeping an eye on then. Hey these DAWS are only as good as the OS they run on and how well it is maintained.

• Like 1