Need help connecting via Avid MBox3

Engineerer

I used to use Cakewalk, 20 years ago, and I'm trying to re-start, all over again. And, I need help, getting a MIDI keyboard to record in some way that I can see (and edit) the notes in a "piano roll" format.

I'm using a Windows 10 machine (64 bit), with a simple/basic Yamaha PSR-420 keyboard with MIDI ports in the back, and an Avid Mbox 3 interface  (no longer being made, so I've attached pics; MIDI ports in back, and it is indeed recognized by Cakewalk, in ASIO format).

But, I can't figure out what to do next, among the hundreds of options available. I've watched the tutorial found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZqXiL2L36g

but when HE clicks on his screen, he gets a different screen, than I get.

All I want -- for now -- is a single, simple track, which I can store as a midi file, and send to a keyboard professional, so he can build a song passage around that melody.

MBOX-FRONT.jpg

MBOX-BACK.jpg

Yep; checked, checked again, firm and snug at all ends.

I also downloaded the owner manual for the keyboard, and did the best I could to make sure MIDI is active. The manual is not good, at showing which particular buttons control which functions; but, default is "MIDI is on/active", so I unplugged everything and brought it up again from dead.

I also tried every possible combination of MBox front/rear switches, even tho the MBox manual says they should not make any difference re: MIDI signals (since the only MIDI ports are on the back).

Still not working . . .

Good question. I'll probably try it with Garage Band, on a MiniMac, just to see what happens.

And, I've ordered a simple $19 in-line interface, from Amazon, which got mostly good reviews:

/Interface-OIBTECH-Upgrade-Professional-Converter/

In case THAT doesn't work, what would you (or anyone) recommend, as an

inexpensive MIDI-to-USB interface that you KNOW will work w/ Cakewalk?

Edited by Engineerer

Okay, an update, for anyone else who might be having similar problems . . .

Got online with an experienced user, via TeamViewer (free; so he could control my screen).

First correction-- I had connected my MIDI adapter to my keyboard, using the labeled "OUT" plug in the "Out" port, and "In" with "In". That turned out to be wrong; apparently, the cable was labeled from the viewpoint of the computer.

Then we had a bunch of crash problems. Finally gave up on trying to install and use Cakewalk on a super-fast machine with an M.2 (NVEM or whatever) chip/drive, with nothing but USB-3 ports. Took it to an older, simpler laptop instead.

Final lesson from him -- since I wanted to record from a MIDI keyboard, I could NOT call it a MIDI track, and instead, had to call it an "Instrument" track.

And, with that, I got it working.

Final Q - now that I've played a melody into it, how do I get to a LARGE piano-roll screen, to make it easier to edit the notes?

Edited by Engineerer

6 minutes ago, Engineerer said:

since I wanted to record from a MIDI keyboard, I could NOT call it a MIDI track, and instead, had to call it an "Instrument" track.

An "instrument" track is a special presentation of an audio and MIDI track pair. In fact the tracks that make up the "instrument" track may be exposed by opening the track context menu by right-clicking in the track header and select "Split Instrument Track"

A MIDI track on its own is capable of recording MIDI data and playing MIDI data but in order to hear the results of the MIDI playback in the DAW, there must be an audio track associated with the MIDI playback device be that a hardware or soft synth.

12 minutes ago, Engineerer said:

how do I get to a LARGE piano-roll screen, to make it easier to edit the notes?

By default, double-clicking a MIDI clip  header opens the clip in the Piano Roll View in the mutlidock. SHIFT+D maximizes/restores the multidock. Shortcut D expands/collapses the mutlidock. There are other useful features in the multidock link provided.