Slow Performance

My set up:

Interface: Line 6 Helix LT to PC via USB

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor 3.20 GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlabs

When I record an instrument to a track, the metronome and midi drums slow down a few bpm. It is normal for a few measures, then it slows down. Very frustrating. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

I hope I have provided enough info to help,

Kelly

Edited by CalEliteCoach2319

Your issue does not make sense to me. Hardware would not have any bearing on tempo. Glitches and pauses yes, but a tempo slowing down is normally only controlled by the software ( DAW) You re installing probably just cleared out the cobwebs. 

• Like 1

I should have done a video to show what was happening. The project was set to 110 bpm with a 6/8 time signature. I was recording and deleting tons of takes of the same bass part. I was only using 2 tracks. 1 midi drum track and 1 track for live recorded bass. After abouy 30 seconds the click track and midi drums would slow down gradually. Like a dying battery. It would also playback with the slower down part. 

So as the tempo slows down does the tempo indicator also change?

In my 36 years of recording midi I have never experienced a tempo change unless the software was TOLD to change the tempo. This is why I don't understand your issue. Something is telling your software to slow down by changing the tempo, I do not think it even possible for a DAW to play back midi at a slower tempo than the tempo that has been set. A buggered system would simply burp and fart and play back the midi spazmaticly.  

Long shot--but you don't happen to have any external hardware patched in that could broadcast a tempo? 

• Like 1

I'll bet you can repeat the issue and resolve it by switching the config setting I mention above.

It's a beta setting. I think that was your problem. It has exactly the symptom you described. 

Noel, the lead programmer, is aware and advises not to use 3.

• Like 1

I admit, I am very new to using Cakewalk or any other DAW for that matter. I am using it as many other do to record and share ideas with band-mates to further song development. I'm not using Cakewalk to master or engineer an album. I would love to share the issue that was causing me problems just incase it occurs to someone else there will be a solution. I do not care to repeat the error I was having for fear I will lose content and create more frustration. I have no idea what advanced threading scheduling is. As mentioned, I have no issues since I uninstalled and re-installed Cakewalk. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin'.

I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yeah I have this happen all the time. I did recently fix it but today it's just a ***** again. Of the three DAW's I have use cakewalk is the only one I've gotten this issue with. It's like the whole thing just grinds to a halt. I seem to only see it happen when recording instruments, but then I dont do a lot of midi.
To be honest I think I'm just gonna pay a pro to come set up my studio. The amount of issues Im having with daw's is utterly defeating lol and I dont want to go back to audacity, it's amazingly simple to use but the finished quality is slightly muted I find.