MIDI keyboard suddenly no longer works in CW

winkpain

Today my preferred M-Audio MIDI keyboard (simple 88 key, piano keys only keyboard) stopped functioning within CW with no changes to computer or CW since it worked perfectly yesterday.

Scenario is:

• Keyboard is selected as MIDI input in preferences
  • MIDI input activity (in task bar) light blinks appropriately showing input data when pressing keys
  • Keyboard is chosen as input in track with echo on
  • With record on, nothing is recorded when playing
  • Unplugging and re-plugging of USB cable gets the message that device has been removed/added from within CW
  • Keyboard functions normally in other applications outside of CW (stand alone synths, other DAW, etc.)
  • An alternate  Novation MIDI keyboard works fine within CW going into the same USB cable
  • The above is no longer true. CW is not responding (besides the MIDI activity light) to either keyboard
  • Closing/restarting no effect

What the.... ??

Edited by winkpain

Are you on Windows 10? I recently had an issue after a Windows 10 update with my midi keyboard as there were no proper Windows 10 drivers - there is a way to trick Windows 10, which I did and it now works again. Have you tried updated drivers for your keyboard?

Nigel

45 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

Are you on Windows 10? I recently had an issue after a Windows 10 update with my midi keyboard as there were no proper Windows 10 drivers - there is a way to trick Windows 10, which I did and it now works again. Have you tried updated drivers for your keyboard?

Nigel

Nope. this is on a Windows 7 machine with no changes (not even power cycling the computer, nor did then doing this improve the situation) whatsoever, to software or machine, between it working and then not working.  It's a very simple, keys-only keyboard. I don't see any newer drivers for it. And as I say, it continues to work fine outside of CW.

39 minutes ago, kzmaier said:

Do you use a control surface?  If so check to see if Cakewalk selected the midi keyboard as its input.

Nope. No control surface here.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, winkpain said:
  • With record on, nothing is recorded when playing
  • Unplugging and re-plugging of USB cable gets the message that device has been removed/added from within CW

You stated that nothing is recorded when playing.

But can you  hear the instrument respond when you just play the keyboard?

7 minutes ago, abacab said:

You stated that nothing is recorded when playing.

But can you  hear the instrument respond when you just play the keyboard?

No. The only indication was the blinking light on the MIDI indicator in task bar.

I got my secondary keyboard working after several reboots, however.

I had made no changes. All settings were as they should be. Just another mercurial, flooky computer thing - fine one minute whacked the next. Possibly a USB issue? With just that keyboard and CW combo, and all of a sudden? Only CW had the problem with the M-Audio keyboard. I dunno...

5 hours ago, abacab said:

Maybe try renaming the file "TTSSEQ.INI" so that Cakewalk will rebuild the .ini file from defaults.

Location: "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core"

Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

Many years ago I had this happen - I think it was an Akai midi keyboard - the thing used to drop out just like this - it was very temperamental - so I got a Focusrite midi keyboard - same set up - never had an issue again!!

One thing I forget to mention - I would change the USB cable just to eliminate that - it can be something as simple as a different cable - there might appear nothing wrong with the cable and it will work on other things, but I have found over the years that just changing to a different cable can resolve some USB issues !!

Hope you are all sorted now

Nigel

8 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

One thing I forget to mention - I would change the USB cable just to eliminate that - it can be something as simple as a different cable - there might appear nothing wrong with the cable and it will work on other things, but I have found over the years that just changing to a different cable can resolve some USB issues !!

And maybe try a different USB port while swapping cables.

Often you will find more than one USB controller hub onboard your PC, so you may be able to locate a spare USB port connected to a different USB controller hub.

Yup, i've tried 3 different cables, different spots on the hub, and different direct USB port connections.

In the meantime, I'm just using a good ol' MIDI cable.

These sudden failures, going from working fine to not working with no changes whatsoever to the system or software or settings on my part (and no one else uses the machine) in the intervening hours really get me! Computers are like fickle children sometimes.

Edited by winkpain

Within the last few days this exact thing has happened to me. Everything was working fine with the USB keyboard and then it stopped. It shows in devices and the midi indicator in the task bar shows activity yet there is no activity in CbB. I tried another keyboard and cable and it worked for a while and then the same thing happened. I've tried different USB ports and everything winkpain did above. The keyboards work fine on another computer running the latest versions of CbB and Windows, all drivers up to date, etc.

Edited by DalaiTom
correction

41 minutes ago, DalaiTom said:

Within the last few days this exact thing has happened to me. Everything was working fine with the USB keyboard and then it stopped. It shows in devices and the midi indicator in the task bar shows activity yet there is no activity in CbB. I tried another keyboard and cable and it worked for a while and then the same thing happened. I've tried different USB ports and everything winkpain did above. The keyboards work fine on another computer running the latest versions of CbB and Windows, all drivers up to date, etc.

Strange. Is the machine on which the problem occurs running Windows 7 by any chance? That's the case for me.

42 minutes ago, DalaiTom said:

And just like that... it's working again. No changes. Weird.

This is now randomly happening with even the MIDI from my audio interface (with me using the MIDI cable).

SO whether using USB or MIDI cable through interface, I am having whichever keyboard/controller stop functioning.

Deactivating the MIDI devices in Preferences, applying, exiting, re-starting, adding devices again will eventually work after several tries. But then it continues to stop functioning randomly with no changes to set-up, Preferences, or whatever, and I need to do all that again...

I was having trouble today as well. I eventually got everything working by changing the MIDI driver mode from UWP to MME. Close any running projects and go to: Settings > MIDI > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode

3 minutes ago, pcooke9 said:

I was having trouble today as well. I eventually got everything working by changing the MIDI driver mode from UWP to MME. Close any running projects and go to: Settings > MIDI > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode

I have no other option. MME is all there is for me.

3 minutes ago, winkpain said:

I have no other option. MME is all there is for me.

Ah, sorry. I just realized you said you were on Windows 7. There's no UWP in Win 7. It's strange though. I couldn't get Cakewalk to register any activity from any MIDI controller except for the built in virtual piano keyboard. Never had trouble with UWP before.