Reveal Doubled Notes in Piano Roll View

RexRed

Is there a  way to reveal doubled notes besides using the event list to do it?

This has been a  problem for me since DOS.

Notes on top of one another in Piano Roll view.

They double when sounded and the usual way to find them is to either look for notes at the same time in the event list which is tedious or search notes in piano roll view one by one. 

It would be nice if there was a button I could push in piano roll so doubled or overlapped notes on the same line would blink. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RexRed

Use the UNDUPE CAL script. Works most times for me. PS did you make the double notes or did the midi file come that way? If you getting double notes it's often because your getting a loopback. Make sure to uncheck the enable midi output from the synth properties, Or simply disable all midi out in midi options. 

2020-05-13 (1).png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this.  I don't think I've used CAL but will definitely try this.   I've been plagued by double MIDI notes before, usually when I've been making a drum track by copying and pasting repetitive parts, fills, etc.  and overlaps can sometimes occur by accident.  My usual method, if I can't hear obvious doubling, is to painstakingly check.

Thank you John Vere for your helpful suggestion. I did not know the UNDupe cal script existed.

I think Cakewalk has a bug where sometimes if I am copying and pasting a lot it will just double notes on its own.

It rarely happens but I end up with duped notes and nice tip, yes I always keep echo midi off and midi output off.

I kind of like the blinking note idea i had...  :)

One could colorize duped notes but notes already have velocity intensity coloration and that would be confusing to add even more of a color gradient on top of that.

But blinking notes would be really helpful, a feature one could turn on or off.

How much a feature like that would add to the processing overhead of the event list is a question.

If it could be turned on and off when needed it would be a very helpful tool and work on a  per track basis.. 

I will try the midi dupe script.

Does it delete the longest or shortest event?

I am not sure I like the idea of something deleting notes for me.

I would rather have a way of detecting them and deleting them myself. 

Thanks again for your response!

Edited by RexRed
  • Like 1

I sometimes quickly search for duplicated notes by stepping down in the Event List (or whatever it's called) while at the same time looking in the PRV. If I press the down arrow twice in a row without moving forward in the PRV, it's a double. :)

• Like 1