Colored clip backgrounds

Arjan M

Question

Is there an option to reverse the clip colors, so the background of the clip is colored, rather than the contents?

See this screenshot with Cubase on the left and Cakewalk on the right, both using the same color coding for the clips.
I find the Cubase screen much easier  to work with.

clip_colours.png.4ae81dcb70685037fd8a0eb1e5336a23.png

Edited by ArjanM
  • Great Idea 1

6 answers to this question

You can selectively change clip foreground and background colors in the clip propertie section of the Inspector.  You can also adjust default track colors in Preferences. It's been a long time since I messed with this so I'm not sure how those assignments interract with Themes. As I recall, the last time I used custom colors, I had to edit them in X2 and import them because Platinum had eliminated access to some color settings. Clip backgrounds may have been among those.

At a certian point, I decided to just settle for the default Mercury scheme, and choose a specific track color from the picker in the track pane when I need better visibility for some a specific track.

Manually changing the colors in the clip properties is a workaround indeed. And it's possible to change multiple clips at once by selecting them all.

Still it would be nice to have a program option to just swap the colors by default.

• Great Idea 1

I was about to ask about this same topic.

Cakewalk is the only DAW I know that applies color only to the waveform or the midi data, and not to the background of the clips.

Changing manually the color of the clips can be a bit cumbersome if there are too many tracks in the project.

Would be great if there's an option to change this behaviour by default.