Pro Tools Platform Shift?

Fwrend

Those old Mac Pro boxes are still upgradable.   There are some great comments why they switched.   I read an article somewhere where Apple might ditch Intel and roll with their own processors. Intel went back to being pricey so Apples prices is starting to hurt them.  A tricked out Mac Mini with no keyboard or monitor is $4K.  I could build 2 Windows rigs for that and use a MOTU AVB or Baby Face for both.

• Like 1

The thing I think that will push most pro audio users towards Windows is Apple's decision to ditch Intel in favour of an ARM processor in their next line of Macs.

Logic should be fine, as it's an Apple product, but for all the 3rd party DAW's and plugins it'll be a nightmare.

They're likely to do some sort of emulator, like they did when they went from PowerPC to Intel, but I can't see them getting the performance needed for plugins from this.

18 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The thing I think that will push most pro audio users towards Windows is Apple's decision to ditch Intel in favour of an ARM processor in their next line of Macs.

I'm fairly certain that the Apple corporate bean counters are looking at iOS $$$ for the bottom line these days. Those iPhone thingys seem to have the world mesmerized.

Apple is once again the most valuable company in the world

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-passes-microsoft-and-amazon-as-most-valuable-company-by-market-cap-2019-2

Edited by abacab