Send Continuous Controller [Solved]

Heinz Hupfer

Question

Hi:)

Does anybody know how I can send a continuous Controller to an extern midicontrol?

I have to send:

B0, 00, 28 Hex  or  176, 0, 40 Dez  to activate something and B0, 00, 00 (176,0,0) to Reset.

Sysx view doesn't work, cause it needs F0 at the beginning(F7 at end), but we need B0 !

Insert as a Controller doesn't work either, they have numbers 0 to 127. So perhaps divide it into an LSB and MSB, but how? 

Google does know nothing how to send that....tried MidiOX and MidiTools and Cakewalk for sure!

Thanks;)

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

Hi:)

Does anybody know how I can send a continuous Controller to an extern midicontrol?

I have to send:

B0, 00, 28 Hex  or  176, 0, 40 Dez  to activate something and B0, 00, 00 (176,0,0) to Reset.

Sysx view doesn't work, cause it needs F0 at the beginning(F7 at end), but we need B0 !

Insert as a Controller doesn't work either, they have numbers 0 to 127. So perhaps divide it into an LSB and MSB, but how? 

Google does know nothing how to send that....tried MidiOX and MidiTools and Cakewalk for sure!

Thanks;)

Bassman.

Are you trying to use the bank switch CC? Cakewalk can do that. Lemme see if I can find that section. Maybe this will help:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Dialogs1.13.html

IIRC, you send the CC 00 command, the CC 32 command, and then a patch/program change based on the method your gear understands.

If you are trying to switch banks, see also http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Instrument_Defs.07.html

[Change language parameter as needed--e.g., language=1, etc.]

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to online help - bank switching

HI:)

@User 905133

It's a Reset command for the Novation Launch control written in the programmer's manual:

B0 00 00 to send, but I don't know how??

Next is B0 00 28 for the buttons to blink, there must be a possibility to send these 3 bytes.....

As "Google" says, B0 is Mode change for some hardware instruments, but how can I send it to them? 

Bassman.

From the manual, it seems there are some Bn 00 xx commands to change the unit's state AND there are sysex commands for other individual changes.

Reset Launch Control XL

Bnh, 00h, 00h             All LEDs are turned off, and the buffer settings and duty cycle are reset to their default values.   [etc.]

Bnh, 00h, 20-3Dh      This message is used to control the double-buffering state of the buttons. [etc.]

Set LEDs

System Exclusive messages can be used to set the LED values for any button or pot in any template, regardless of which template is currently selected.

This is done using the following message:       F0h 00h 20h 29h 02h 11h 78h Template Index Value F7h   etc.

Did you try just sending a single Bn 00 xx command from the Event List?

image.png.9ac42f0f629b1de41defd61d430f7407.png

image.png.7e84c9ac083bbbf97da9e910f170d7bb.png

If I had a unit, I'd try that first.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Views.27.html#1122094

If that doesn't work, perhaps you can use one of Cakewalk's bank switching modes to send out the CC0 command. This might work if the unit will ignore CC32 + patch.  I did not see CC32 or program change commands in the Programmers Reference manual.  So if the unit ignores them, Cakewalk's bank switching options might work for what you want.  If I had a unit, that's what I'd try if the single CC0 command didn't work.

Maybe a staff member or a power user can help with this.

Edited by User 905133
to add images and links

Hi🙂

B0 Stands just for Controller message. That's nice cause we never see "B0", we send Controller to somewhere! 

So you must be right just to send CC0 with Data 0 to reset. I will try that tomorrow, when I'm in Studio.

But why do they write B0 00 00 instead of CC0 with Data 0? I would never write 90  3C 0F for Note On Channel 1 Note Number 60 Velocity 127 for example!

Let's see if CC0 works😃

Thanks,

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

48 minutes ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

B0 Stands just for Controller message. That's nice cause we never see "B0", we send Controller to somewhere! 

. . .

But why do they write B0 00 00 instead of CC0 with Data 0? I would never write 90  3C 0F for Note On Channel 1 Note Number 60 Velocity 127 for example!

B0 is a hexidecimal (base 16) number, Bn refers to a hex number where n = (midi channel -1).  So, B9 0A 32 is a midi continuous controller command on midi channel 10 in hex.

When people write CC10, that's usually shorthand for Continuous Controller # 10 (in decimal).

Some people prefer decimal numbers; some people prefer hexidecimal numbers. Many (not all) midi reference manuals will include both.

Alternatively, chosen LEDs can be made to flash. To turn on automatic flashing, which lets Launch Control XL use its own flashing speed, send:

Hex version    Bnh, 00h, 28h    

Dec version   176+n, 0, 40

If an external timeline is required to make the LEDs flash at a determined rate, the following sequence is suggested:

Turn flashing LEDs on     Bnh, 00h, 20h      (decimal version 176+n, 0, 32)

Turn flashing LEDs off     Bnh, 00h, 20h      (decimal version 176+n, 0, 33)

The Novation manual is nice in that it gives you both.

Cakewalk's Event List uses words (Note On, Controller, etc.) instead of either decimal or hex numbers and has the additional bytes/numbers in columns. If I remember correctly, Sysex commands can be hex, but the others are decimal only.  (Not 100% sure. It's been a while.) 

In the Piano Roll View, make sure the controller lane in visible.  You might want to deselect "Show Multiple Lanes"

Add a controller and just type 0 in the "value" field

Then you can just add the values where ever you want in the lane - in your case 40 to activate something and 0 to reset.

Note: These values are decimal, so if your manual gives the values in hex, you'll have to convert to decimal.

Of course, you could also use Event List and enter the Controller events there as well.

Edited by Promidi

HI:)

Thank you all for your answers!

So for other people Colors and Flashing for 1 Knob with Controller 65 assigned! 

B0 00 00 is "that easy" Send Controller 0 with Data 0. So for Reset Launch Control just send Controller 0 with Data 0 for resetting User Preset 1.

For other User presets it is Controller 1-7, for Factory Presets Controller 8-15. 

Switch to Preset 1 is Controller 1 Data 0.

The embarassing thing is that I bought this book in 1989:

Download.png.c77e0b9ebd8d029b2d5d19a47083a06c.png

And I can remember that I studied it. It stands a few feet away from my PC at home😂

It's not funny getting old!

So here the Colors and Flashing for Novation Launch Control with Controllers instead of Sysx.

94405622_BlinkandColorsNovationLaunchControlXL.thumb.jpg.e8d42c8a134d2676ebf749f7490d0384.jpg2130426011_ColorsNovationLaunchControlXL.thumb.jpg.5b552ab4fe01e09cb1c0a84ecace01bf.jpg

Maybe it helps some other:)

Bassman.

• Like 1