How to import MIDI separating by channel

Thanks scook, this is what I'm trying, but the file is being imported in one single track, despite right-clicking on the notes shows that they belong to different channels.

I would like to have each channel assigned to a different track. It should be a simple task but had not found solution online. Any help is greatly appreciated :D

Edited by Cannelloni BEATS

You can use a CAL script to split the MIDI into tracks.  A Type 0 MIDI file with the channels all combined will always come in as one track.  I have two CAL scripts for doing the spliting, but I'm not sure where I got them "Split Channel to Tracks.cal" and "Split Channel to Tracks-Choices.cal" Google found this:

https://bobbyprincemusic.blogspot.com/2011/06/sonar-x1-using-cal.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be a bit disappointed if there is no simpler method.  Split MIDI channels in different tracks is not an issue, but would they have to be opened one by one then?

(Anyway CAL is great! Never heard of it before, I'm likely going to dig it soon)

Edited by Cannelloni BEATS

6 hours ago, scook said:

Use File > Open instead of import.

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

A Type 0 file should still open with channels automatically split to tracks, but you must use File > Open as scook noted, not File > Import.

Just an example of what it looks like:  File > Open [99091301.MID (a midi file from 1999)]:

image.thumb.png.a2f2509d0de7ff414f507a990041fff9.png

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

A Type 0 file should still open with channels automatically split to tracks, but you must use File > Open as scook noted, not File > Import.

You're right.  I ran some tests.  A Type 0 file with multiple channels does auto-split.  But a Type 1 file with multiple channels on a single track doesn't and as a result needs something to split it. I guess you could also create something like this naturally in Cakewalk where a single track has notes on multiple channels.  When you get that mixed channels on a single MIDI track the only way I've ever seen to split it is with a CAL script.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

But a Type 1 file with multiple channels on a single track doesn't and as a result needs something to split it.

True, but a typical GM-style MIDI file downloaded from the Web will either be a Type 0 or Type 1 with one channel per track. But I suppose the OP might have something unconventional, which would account for the problem..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

True, but a typical GM-style MIDI file downloaded from the Web will either be a Type 0 or Type 1 with one channel per track. But I suppose the OP might have something unconventional, which would account for the problem..

You are right! MIDI files I'm trying to use are made in that unconvential way, however I checked and that's due to how I get them.  Other DAWS I used before import them rigth anyway, so I have never digged deeper on how MIDI works. Now the subject is clear and I have already figured out how to properly get MIDI in a way that they are opened correctly. The issue was that they didn't have information about tracks, only about channels.

Thanks anyone for helping! I would never come to a solution otherwise. It seems to  be an amazing and supporting community :)

• Like 1

I have also found that  using  Reaper as a sort of middle man in the case of opening unconventional MIDI GM files sometimes works better than Cakewalk. It intelligently detects the channels and asks if you want separate tracks.

After opening the GM file in Reaper, just re-save the MIDI there, and then  open the Reaper version in Cakewalk! Should have separate tracks per channel now!

Reaper is available as a free 60-day trial in case you want to test this theory... not suggesting a switch, just another MIDI tool. :)

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem (Midi File Type 1 with all channels in one track), and based on the discussion I did something I thought would be too simple, but it worked ...

I "Saved As" the file as Midi Type 0 and closed it.  Then I Open-File the Type 0 file and it was opened with each channel on its own track.

Repeating myself, simple but it worked.

Edited by Dan Vanevic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/8/2021 at 8:28 PM, Dan Vanevic said:

I had the same problem (Midi File Type 1 with all channels in one track), and based on the discussion I did something I thought would be too simple, but it worked ...

I "Saved As" the file as Midi Type 0 and closed it.  Then I Open-File the Type 0 file and it was opened with each channel on its own track.

Repeating myself, simple but it worked.

This works with Sonar X and later, but only dependably when the midi file has only one track and multiple channels. (You may delete empty tracks if needed.)