The case for a Linux port

English is not my first language so excuse any grammatical issues. 

Let me begin by saying I would totally understand if the team only focus on Windows. I dont know how big the team it is and I know users of Cakewalk want the company to focus on features like the notation editor, and other aspects. 

That being said I want to make the case for a Linux port. 

Political tides and the year of the Linux desktop in China

If you have followed global politics recently you will know there is kinda a cold war going on between China and the US. 

China wants its own CPU's and its own homegrown Linux operating system out of fears of back doors and political embargoes, like what is happening to Huawei. 

Citations

1. Two of China's largest tech firms are uniting to create a new 'domestic OS'

2. China to ditch all Windows PCs by 2022 – could this be Linux’s time to shine?

Bandlab is a Singaporean company with a diverse product portfolio which include the largest musical instrumental chain in Asia, i.e Swee Lee

It wont be implausible to say that Linux is going to gain millions of new users in China, a country with more than one billion people and seeing Bandlabs presence in Asia it might be a good move to cater to the Chinese public. A linux port will thus complement Swee Lee's business in China. 

ChromeOS Linux app support coming up

Citation: You'll Soon Be Able to Run Linux Apps on Any Chromebook

The moral case for a Linux port

In many countries a $100 Microsoft license is a lot of money, this is true for many parts of Africa, South America and Asia. 

Linux is not only an operating system, its a movement towards open, free and ethical software that is accessible to those less fortunate. 

Allow people to donate/crowd fund on the Bandlab.Cakewalk site for ports and features

As it is Cakewalk is an altruism product, and it probably don't have a massive team. For Bandlab to gain developers with expertise in Linux and Mac please allow crowd funding and donations. 

Edited by Francois van der Merwe
  • Meh 1

You know Windows 10 will run forever unactivated, and can be downloaded for free, right?  Only drawback is a nag message on the desktop and inability to change wallpaper.

Given the popularity of Linux you describe, how do you explain the consistent <2% of the market share that it continues to enjoy in the desktop market?  "It wont be implausible to say that Linux is going to gain millions of new users in China"...if it hasn't happened over the last 25 years, what impending event is going to drive a change in adoption?

Much stronger case for a Mac port, but I would rather them stay the course in the Windows world.  The product is stable and very functional, and I expect it to only improve.  

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 9.03.51 AM.png

Edited by StudioNSFW
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I'd like to make a case for banning the delusion Linux user. 

Windows 1 Pro is $199 and a one time buy and can be used over again.   It is pricey when you don't have $199.

I paid  $29 for a legit copy of Pro that activated no problem from Kinguin.... but if money is an issue, just don’t put in a license key and put up with the nag screen.

additionally, if you just must have * any * Windows software on your Linux box, it’s time to learn about WINE, and not whine.

Edited by StudioNSFW

I don't really care what Cakewalk/BandLab do as I don't use it, but for the sake of sanity, say no to Linux, don't waste time and money on it's pursuit (I know they wont) I spent my few years using it, I know what it's like getting into the Linux 'Ideal', and I know how good it feels to get out of that mind set and back to the real world. As far as Linux goes, 'The cake is a lie' (no pun intended)

Maybe Winblows, but LinSux!!!