Accessing legacy DXi instruments from earlier versions of SONAR

Dear Cakewalk Experts and Users,

For years, every time I've gotten a new version of SONAR or Music Creator, I've been delighted to discover that previous DXi instruments and effects have magically appeared in the new versions of the program as I upgraded. Cakewalk by Bandlab did not do this. Now,  I confess, that on my new laptop I had downloaded and installed Bandlab before I installed my old versions of Cakewalk. 

There are two problems. First, I can't register my previous versions because the Cakewalk site won't send me a password. I always forget passwords so with each new computer I've relied on that feature. Secondly, I have over 300 recording projects representing 1000's of hours of work, and if can't register my old versions, or (failing that) import the old DXi engines that I used on 100's of projects, I won't be able to edit my old songs when the mood strikes me.

If this topic has already been addressed, I apologise. I know how to install and add VST plugs and so on, but the DXi I'm bewildered by. Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

W. Cameron Bastedo

Yes this has been asked and answered numerous times

To regain access to your old Cakewalk account contact support@cakewalk.com

CbB will run any plug-ins bundled with 64bit SONAR/MC including the 64bit DX effects and instruments.

The best practice is install any full versions of 64bit SONAR/MC that you need then install CbB. After that run advanced installs of older versions of SONAR to add any the missing plug-ins.

Some DX plug-ins bundled with old Cakewalk products were never ported to 64bit. If projects contain these plug-ins, they will only open completely in 32bit SONAR/MC. To ease the transition to 64bit, install the most recent version of 32bit SONAR available and replace these plug-ins.

• Like 1

Thanks for that valuable input. I wondered if the sequence of having Bandlab on before installing the old versions would have an effect. Thanks for that.

If you were me would you simply uninstall Bandlab and then reinstall it? Would that be sufficient to pickup all usable 64 bit plugs and not lose current projects? That's what made me hesitate: fear of losing projects. Should I archive them before uninstalling. 

Installing CbB first means after installing other 64bit versions of SONAR/MC there is a good chance the contents of the shared folders will be old.

To correct the problem, just uninstall CbB and re-install it after adding any older DAWs.

Running the advanced install options to add plug-ins only will not affect CbB. This may be done at a any time.

No project will be lost but any projects created in 32bit DAWs using 32bit DX plug-ins that were not ported to 64bit will not load the 32bit plug-ins when opened in 64bit DAWs.

Installing a DAW does nothing the existing projects.

Loading a project in a DAW does nothing to a project.

Saving a project loaded in a DAW affects a project.

Any time you are concerned about possibly messing up a project make a copy before making changes.

If projects are important to you, they should already be backed up somewhere.

So, I uninstalled Cakewalk by Bandlab and then reinstalled. It didn't change the available DXi plugs. I thought perhaps that all my previous versions of Sonar were 32 bit, but I read that SONAR X1 is 64 bit. I hate to be a pest, but is there something I'm overlooking? As I install each of the various old versions of Cakewalk they are all absorbing the DXi plugins, but none of the ones that were not bundled in Cakewalk by Bandlab are showing up in that DAW.

All the X-series contain both 32 and 64bit versions except for X1 LE and X1 Essential. These two did not have 64bit versions.

All MC are 32bit except for MC7.

On 64bit Windows, Cakewalk DAWs that have both 32 and 64bit versions have a screen at the beginning of the install process to select which version to install.

Oh, I see. So I happened to have purchased the one Sonar that doesn't have 64 bit? Very bad luck, that. I don't remember having to select between 64 and 32 so I guess that must be correct. So, thanks for your help. The techs at Cakewalk are helping me get the legacy DAWS registered. I suppose I can transfer projects between platforms if necessary.

Even if you had a 64bit version of SONAR, some of the DX plug-ins were never ported. When transitioning from 32 to 64bit it is a good idea to install the last 32bit version of SONAR available so project will open completely. Then find replacement plug-ins for the project or commit the old plug-ins. While 32bit VST plug-ins will load in 64bit DAWs look for 64bit replacements.

Other than the 32bit DX plug-ins that were not ported, any project made in 32bit SONAR/MC should open in 64bit CbB.