Feature Request: Export Markers

Mike Kelleher

I'm a very happy, long time Cakewalk user.  In the last several years,  I've scored many films using Cakewalk and it works perfectly for me.  One feature that would be very helpful would be to be able to export the list of markers in a project.  Often, when I'm assembling the score for a director,  she/he will give me guidelines, but I'll sometimes start/stop cues at different SMPTE markers than their original notes.  

Once the project is complete,  it would be useful to be able to export the list of markers (in a text format) so that they can use them with their editor to ensure the cues line up where they're supposed to be.  This would also allow for the director to add notes to my markers if it were in a text format that they could send back to me or on to others.

Thanks very much for all your hard work!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

To get a readable list of cues

• Save as a MIDI file as mentioned above.
  • Run the MIDI file through MIDICsv and create a csv file.
  • Load the csv file into the tool of your choice (spreadsheet, database, even a text editor) or parse it with a script to generate a cues list.

• 3 months later...

I have tried this method but have not been successful.  I may not be doing the process correctly.  What I am doing is:  Select all tracks go to copy special then click markers only . Then go to EXPORT and export midi. I open a new instance of cake walk insert a midi clip and import the midi.  This brings in the entire project of midi events and NO marker appear in the time line. I must be doing the process incorrectly. Could you share your process ?

Edited by Tony Clark

When I tested the process, I used  File > Save As to create a MIDI file from the entire project. I did not use the export function.

From there, everything is done outside of CbB.

Run MIDIcsv against the MIDI file to create a csv file from the saved MIDI file

Then open the csv file in any text editor or spreadsheet tool.

• Like 2