I am interested in advice on a Monitors and graphics cards [SOLVED]

Hi

I have two monitors I am testing that are still within the return window time frame.  I will keep just a single monitor for now,

The monitors are:

• Dell S3219D 32 " WQHD monitor
  • Samsung 7 series  TU7000 43" Smart TV UHD  4k 3,840 by 2,160

I  read that the Samsung works very well as a computer monitor and I like the large display. I got a great deal at Best buy on an open box so I am hoping the Samsung works out.

Unfortunately, my graphics card does not support 4k, so if I decide to keep the Samsung. I will need to upgrade my graphics card.

If anyone cares to comment on these monitors please do.

Also, I am interested in advice on a suitable 4k Graphics card, that is reasonably quiet and that also handle moderate gaming. I'm not a gamer but I may want to check out gaming at some point in the near future.  Also my budget is limited.

Thank You

Edited by Angelo DiBraccio

There have been a lot of posts on recording forums about 4k monitors looking Fantastic , but everything too small to be worth the upgrade.  A few people have found solutions. I would do some serious research before making my mind up. Regular HD 1080 seems to work fine for me and most people just recording.  I would keep a dedicated pc just for music (if I could) and Nothing else.   

I've been using a 49" LG 4K TV as my monitor and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Windows scaling works fine with most apps... it's just awesome to be able to sit a few yards away and still be able to see, but also get up close and get 4 times as much "information" as a 1080P display.

Resolution is one thing, but you need to have a 60Hz refresh rate and full color depth too, so make sure the card you get has HDMI 2.0, anything GTX 1050 or higher will do just fine. I started with a fanless GTX1050ti, now have a GTX1060 6GB because I do like to play games. For Sonar there was literally 0 difference after the upgrade. A GTX1650 would work even better and be pretty much silent as long as your not gaming or rendering..

R

Edited by Rico Belled

6 hours ago, Angelo DiBraccio said:

Hi

I have two monitors I am testing that are still within the return window time frame.  I will keep just a single monitor for now,

The monitors are:

• Dell S3219D 32 " WQHD monitor
  • Samsung 7 series  TU7000 43" Smart TV UHD  4k 3,840 by 2,160

I  read that the Samsung works very well as a computer monitor and I like the large display. I got a great deal at Best buy on an open box so I am hoping the Samsung works out.

Unfortunately, my graphics card does not support 4k, so if I decide to keep the Samsung. I will need to upgrade my graphics card.

If anyone cares to comment on these monitors please do.

Also, I am interested in advice on a suitable 4k Graphics card, that is reasonably quiet and that also handle moderate gaming. I'm not a gamer but I may want to check out gaming at some point in the near future.  Also my budget is limited.

Thank You

Out of the two I'd keep the Dell.  Wouldn't even consider the Samsung.  

That being said, neither would be my choice.  

Thank you you all for your comments.  Now I am totally confused.  LOL !!

The Samsung has unacceptable font rendering, I'm hoping that it's because the  GPU is all wrong. It doesn't support 4k, so replacing it is the first item on my agenda.

Maybe I'll be happy once I get a 4k  Graphics card.  

There are plenty of articles that advice against using a Smart TV for monitor.  I can't make a decision about the Samsung until I try a 4k card.

10 hours ago, Angelo DiBraccio said:

Thank you you all for your comments.  Now I am totally confused.  LOL !!

The Samsung has unacceptable font rendering, I'm hoping that it's because the  GPU is all wrong. It doesn't support 4k, so replacing it is the first item on my agenda.

Maybe I'll be happy once I get a 4k  Graphics card.  

There are plenty of articles that advice against using a Smart TV for monitor.  I can't make a decision about the Samsung until I try a 4k card.

The "TV" as a monitor problem has nothing to do with a 4K card to drive it.

just trust the articles and stay away from them as an option.  Too much glare, reflections, flicker, etc.    They are fine if you are going to spend an hour a day in front of it, but if you are using it for long session and on a regular basis, they are painful to look at in that setting with computer type of content (ie.  not watching video)

There are a couple of "moving parts" in the considerations regarding displays (monitors) and video cards. 

First is your viewing distance.  Based on that, the optimal size of the display is readily determined.  As an example, I am comfortable working 42-inches away from my 55-inch diagonal display that sits behind my mixer.   At my other working position, I'm comfortable 30-inches away from 34-inches away from my 32-inch display. Both are at 4k (3840x2160).

The top 25-percent of the 55-inch display is above my comfortable viewing angle, so in CbB I put my track view in the lower 75-percent and use the top for the console view of busses.  I added a screenshot of what I do; although the area for the VST plugins is covered with a Gmail window.

This website linked below will allow you to play with some calculated values so you can use your current experience with the relationship between pixel density (PPI), resolutions and viewing distance to make a more precise estimate of what would give you a happier computing experience. 

[https://www.designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/]

If you use a TV as a computer display, the TV must support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling at 60Hz refresh at UHD to give satisfactory text. That was a big/rare deal a few years back, but is much more common on TV's today.  Computer displays always do that just fine. 

FullScreen-PrimaryMix.png

• Like 1

+1 on the considerations above with 4K. Unless you are close or the monitor is huge, you can be buying yourself into eye strain. After reading a lot of advice here, I specifically backed off 4K and went with an ultrawide monitor. More ergonomic for viewing with only the eyes and can edit documents side-by-side (if you need such a thing). The one feature it does have that didn't stand out till I used it is that it has "true black" capability. The contrast from that is significant in reducing eye strain - something to also consider regardless of what you decide upon.

I was forced through a unfortunate hookah accident to use my 65" Sony 4K TV as a monitor for about a month for the DAW. It wasn't bad in my opinion - but I was only driving it at 2K. I did have to crank up the fonts to 150% to see them easily (well, not "easily", but at all)  with about a 5' viewing distance. 

Then I scraped together the pennies to put in a couple of cheapo curved 27" monitors and a mount for the same.  For the DAW, I love dual monitors, Console view on the right, Track view and control bar on the left. I looked at some of the ultra wides where you could really set up one screen the same by floating the components around...but something about the dual monitors makes it just feel a bit more logical for some reason. I think that whole mess was like $350 from Amazon. 

But I don't game on a PC anymore  and video post stuff happens on a completely different system (iMac 5K) . a PS4 hooked up to that Samsung would give you 4K gaming for about the price of a graphics card with no need to pull your DAW apart.

4 hours ago, MediaGary said:

There are a couple of "moving parts" in the considerations regarding displays (monitors) and video cards. 

First is your viewing distance.  Based on that, the optimal size of the display is readily determined.  As an example, I am comfortable working 42-inches away from my 55-inch diagonal display that sits behind my mixer.   At my other working position, I'm comfortable 30-inches away from 34-inches away from my 32-inch display. Both are at 4k (3840x2160).

The top 25-percent of the 55-inch display is above my comfortable viewing angle, so in CbB I put my track view in the lower 75-percent and use the top for the console view of busses.  I added a screenshot of what I do; although the area for the VST plugins is covered with a Gmail window.

This website linked below will allow you to play with some calculated values so you can use your current experience with the relationship between pixel density (PPI), resolutions and viewing distance to make a more precise estimate of what would give you a happier computing experience. 

[https://www.designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/]

If you use a TV as a computer display, the TV must support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling at 60Hz refresh at UHD to give satisfactory text. That was a big/rare deal a few years back, but is much more common on TV's today.  Computer displays always do that just fine. 

FullScreen-PrimaryMix.png

Thanks for the info on Chrome 444.

I decided to return the ones I have and get TCL model 43S425 with chroma 444.  There are many reviews about how good its works as PC monitor.

Update

I got Samsung 43" Tu7000.  It has a lot of interesting settings for adjusting the display quality. It support s4:4:4 chroma subsampling at 60Hz refresh at UHD.  I also got  a  Gigabyte  GTX 1050 ti graphics card which is very quiet in spite of having a fan.  

After trying various settings, it looks amazing and Sonar is big and clear. The event list was unreadable with my old setup and in the PRV,  it was difficult to see the measure numbers. Now both are very clear a pleasure to work with.

Mission accomplished. Thank you all for your comments.

Edited by Angelo DiBraccio

I would keep them both and also get a good graphics card that will run them both. I have 4 monitors running at once, 2 x HD and 2 x 4K (one is a 4k tv).

Amazon has refurbished Nvidia 1080ti from time to time half priced at 499 dollars. (I have 3 of them in my PC)

One of them I paid 1000 dollars for new, no, I am not made of money but I just put everything I get into my system. It is vital to me.

You many need to upgrade your computers power supply to run a 1080ti and you need double the system ram that you have for graphics ram.

Keep them both and save up for the rest. 

If you already returned them that is fine my 4k tv is a TCL with Roku it was half the price of others of the same specs.

Sceptre makes a good cheap 4k monitor, they also make Studio One I believe but Cakewalk beats that hands down.

Edited by RexRed