Latency on project that I didn't create

Ozz

Hi all,

I collaborate long distance with a college buddy/bandmate.  We've both been busy with life, so haven't worked on a project in a while (Which is possibly why I'm having this issue)...he sent me his files today. 

I open the project and everything seems to be there, and plays ok....

I set up a mic to do some vocals, and for some reason, when the input monitoring is delaying the sound  (iow, if I sing a note, there's a split second and then I hear it...so...high latency)....

I've had this issue in the past....and it was usually either buffer settings, or the drivers weren't set to ASIO.....in this case, everything APPEARS to be ok...but still having the issue.

I closed the project and opened one of my own, and everything is fine.....so it's just that one project, that I didn't create.

I use a Roland Octa-Capture....he has a quad capture....so similar interfaces.  And we both use Cakewalk.

I'm sure it's just a setting, and I'll feel ridiculous as soon as I figure it out....but, I'm not having any luck at the moment....can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Edited by Ozz
Added Info.

If it is not driver I/O buffers, the delay is likely caused by plug-in delay compensation. If bypassing plug-ins eliminates the delay, one or more of them are the problem.

To bypass all plug-ins toggle the FX button in the Mix module. While reading about the FX button review the PDC button function as well.

One way to avoid dealing with driver buffer settings and PDC is listen to the audio being recorded using the zero latency monitoring provided by the interface.

Thanks....that seems to have narrowed it down significantly.....The latency disappeared  when I bypassed all plugins (he was only actually using a couple....a reverb and PSP Lotary.....but he had lotary running separately in something like 10 instances...  I've had issues with that plugin causing stuttering, etc in the past.....  I'll probably set up a send/return, so I can just have it running once or twice (he's got it set differently from each other in a couple tracks)

Hopefully, that will resolve it....Thanks for your quick help!

FWIW, the PDC is probably not the PSP Lotary. It is not the type of plug-in that needs compensation. IIRC, it is a little heavy on the CPU though. This would cause the stuttering. Bouncing and archiving the tracks with this plug-in will solve that problem.

It could be the reverb if it is IR-based or it could be a compressor or limiter with a large look ahead buffer.