Feature: Toggle to Disable Multi-Dock entirely

Josh Wolfer

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the bakers have been listening to me lately, so I'll give a try. 

I hate the multi-dock. Like "Hate" hate it. Hated it in X1. X2. X3. Splat. And still hate it in CbB. 

Every time anything launches in it (Vvocal, Melodyne, PRV, Console View), every single time, I drag it out to my second monitor and work from there. I pretty much NEVER want anything blocking my track view on monitor 1. 

Cakewalk doesn't remember this. Or if it does, it doesn't remember that the window (IE: Console View) was maximized. It launches Console View with 20% of the monitor height filled. Super annoying. 

So if there were an option to just disable it, that would make me pretty excited. 

Thank you bakers!

• Like 2

+1

I don't hate it quite that much but see it as pointless and getting in the way when you have a decent multi-monitor setup.  Now docking Melodyne into it every single time Melodyne opens *is* something I loathe 🙂

• Like 3

I'm trying to streamline my workflow to churn out more work (make more $$$). So anytime I find myself doing the same repetitive thing, I'm providing feedback here. I figure I'm probably not alone and flexibility over your environment definitely hurts no one. :)

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 10:54 AM, Josh Wolfer said:

Cakewalk doesn't remember this. Or if it does, it doesn't remember that the window (IE: Console View) was maximized. It launches Console View with 20% of the monitor height filled. 

This is what my second monitor looks like with a Workspace called "Undocked Console on Monitor 2."  What you see here fills 100% of the monitor's viewing area.  

If you had a way to tell Cakewalk to never open anything in a Multidock. I am wondering if that would guarantee you would have 100% unless there were some options to open full views on specified monitors (other than what we can already do with Workspaces). 

image.thumb.png.2db330c87c4bded467112ba7bf37ac8c.png

I agree with this sentiment.

I can confirm that making a screenset for Console view at full screen works and then getting into the habit of choosing that screenset by number instead of ALT-C for console is a workaround. You need to then copy your screensets into every project or have them in your templates. That's easy enough. I'm not sure how the "remembering" works there with multiple screens because I don't currently have that setup.  But I agree that having the option to default to a separate window (with remembered size and location) instead of always opening in the partial view Multi-dock would be very desired.

• Like 1

I have a screenset for a full screen Console, and I am using two monitors. I used to have screensets where the Multidocker was in the second monitor, because I did not like it that much either, but I have found that it is more ergonomic for me just to press D and keep looking at the same monitor than changing my point of view, so nowadays I am using the second monitor mainly to park plugins, VU meter, Big Time window, and such.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

What ?

I think the Multidock is great, I keep it full screen on my 2nd monitor with always open Console and PRV etc.

Yup. And this is why I'd like an option to disable it, not to remove it entirely. It seem like people are divided right down the line. You either love it or hate it. And neither workflow is "better". It's up to preference. I grunt every time anything launches in it. :D

Edited by Josh Wolfer
  • Like 1