Combine video and audio ( synced)

Randall Petty

Question

I want to record a video ( mp4) with the audio source muted, then record the audio track ( mp3)  and combine the two.  I've heard of audiosnap but haven't used it.  Will Cakewalk load two such files and allow me to sync them rhythmically? ( without losing the video )

7 answers to this question

thanks.   "use audiosnap to sync it to the original audio track."  But there wouldn't be any usable original audio track, correct?  Since I muted it.   The other question is whether cakewalk will import a video track, allow combination with a supplemental audio track, and then output a file that contains both the audio and video.
I can always use Handbrake to convert to mp4 if Cakewalk won't do that.

When you import a video file, Cakewalk puts the audio on an audio track and the video on the video track. 

So at that point, the original audio is just another audio track, and of course you can add as many audio or MIDI tracks as you want.

You can then combine everything when exporting the video.

Thank you Mark !    By the way, there is a street named after you here in Bellingham, WA USA
I'm doing these recordings for my church at 1471 McLeod   🙂

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1471+McLeod+Rd,+Bellingham,+WA+98226/@48.7817424,-122.4135754,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x5485a4573bd9cd4d:0x5594b5b56f2b8e86!8m2!3d48.7817424!4d-122.4113867

• Like 1

I think what might be better for me is to actually record the audio with the video at normal volume but focus on camera engagement and not so much on the audio track (which is guitar playing ) being perfect...

then if I record the audio separately and put both audio tracks and the video track in Cakewalk I think it would be easier to sync up the better audio track with the video and then delete the original audio track...?

or perhaps I should be using other software and I'm trying to do something with Cakewalk when it isn't the best tool for the job (especially for someone fairly new to daws)

Edited by Randall Petty

2 hours ago, Randall Petty said:

I think what might be better for me is to actually record the audio with the video at normal volume but focus on camera engagement and not so much on the audio track (which is guitar playing ) being perfect...

then if I record the audio separately and put both audio tracks and the video track in Cakewalk I think it would be easier to sync up the better audio track with the video and then delete the original audio track...?

or perhaps I should be using other software and I'm trying to do something with Cakewalk when it isn't the best tool for the job (especially for someone fairly new to daws)

The video support in Cakewalk is primarily to allow scoring to video rather than video production, so yes, something like Magix Vegas or Avid Media Composer might be a more suitable tool.

I managed to accomplish this in Davinci Resolve first, but the "granularity" of syncing two audio tracks seems to be limited to frames.  So if recorded at 30 frames per second you can only sync in increments of 33 milliseconds.
Cakewalk allows this "nudging" at a default increment of 10 ms with the option to make that even smaller.
On the other hand, Resolve has an easy to use "render" function to put out your results to mp4.
Cakewalk didn't seem to offer a combined export of audio and video other than to "OMF"  ??