Midi player shuts down while playing

Good day all,

I need some advice please. I've been having this problem with Cakewalk for a while now and don't know how to fix it.

The problem is that my Midi keyboard keeps on shutting down while playing. Once I've selected the instruments and start playing it works fine for a few minutes. Then it goes silent and after a while gives me a message that the keyboard has been disconnected. Then I have to log out and start from scratch again.

Any advice please, this is very frustrating.

Thanks.

I would make sure that all of your power saving is turned off in Windows. It is likely that the USB port that is powering your keyboard is shutting off, via the "USB Selective Suspend" setting in advanced power settings.

Check your power options in control panel and choose "High Performance", and that the USB selective suspend is disabled.

Edited by abacab

It may come back, depending on the whim of a Win10 update.   For awhile, Win10 would reset my settings, and start turning off USB ports with every update. That behavior seems to have calmed, but I still occasionally find USB ports reset to power down once again!  

• Like 2

Fair warning!

In my experience, it has been the Win10 Feature Updates most likely to cause this mayhem, as they run a Windows upgrade on your installation. In fact your system ID changes with each Feature Update, which can mess with some software activations.

I don't recall the monthly quality and security patches messing with my settings.

• 2 months later...

I'm having similar problems, except everything shuts off. It doesn't reboot, just blips off and back on and a half second right where I was, with a message saying the controller was disconnected. 

I got this computer (Lenovo thnikcentre) free from a friend, so it may need something else. I'll give that setting deal a shot though!