Roland slashes the starting price of its cloud synth subscriptions

musical

Thanks @musical 

I keep looking at Roland Cloud but the price has put me off as a hobbyist user who already has heaps of synths.
This has definitely got my attention though. 

Here are the various membership options and what's included...

https://www.rolandcloud.com/roland-account/memberships/ 

I notice that whichever membership option you choose it starts with a month trial of Ultimate so you can sample everything they have to offer.
I guess they are hoping that after a month of access to everything you wouldn't want to lose access to some of the better stuff but $199/year is too much for me.

Also if you pay annually the cost is less. For example Core is $2.99/month paid monthly or $2.49/month paid annually ($29.99).

The entry level doesn't include much (unless you own a Fantom or RD-88 hardware) so I would be looking for at least Pro for $99/year (approx £6.70 per month). Still not sure whether that's low enough for me.

Do you know if there is still a loyalty program? I think they used to allow you to keep one piece of software every year if you subscribed or something like that. Maybe that's only on the higher subscriptions. 

Just trying the free Zenology plugin and it is pretty nice for a freebie - one to add to the freebie instruments thread.

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

What does the free version contain  Zinc T?

There are 182 presets to choose from covering a lot of bases (some excellent pads I noticed). 

I have shown the first 40 below. You can click on categories to filter by type.

The UI changes depending on the type of preset. So a drum preset displays drum pads rather than cutoff, resonance etc.

zenology01.jpg.6468521621b340cab3c03dbfef825643.jpg

zenology02.thumb.jpg.63c950721940f728a7b76063856e2fa6.jpg

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, musical said:

Zenology for $3 per month, no commitment, looks worth a look. - certainly when compared with the purchase price of the new Korg Triton plugin.

Yes I was thinking the same and wondering whether it might prompt Korg to drop their prices. Wishful thinking maybe :) 

Just trying to figure out whether it's worth $3/month compared to the free version.

Edited by ZincT

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

Just trying to figure out whether it's worth $3/month compared to the free version.

To answer my own query, the difference between the free and $3/month version is that you get free Sound Packs and Wave Expansions with the paid one.
They can only be used in the Zenology plugin though. 

2 hours ago, ZincT said:

For anyone who does a lot of GM/GS MIDI stuff I also noticed that their Sound Canvas VA seems to have dropped a lot in price to buy outright.
It was $120 but now $69.

Where did you see that ZT?  The content store now shows this....

Capture.JPG.ce9107218f5716b079306147cce9ff06.JPG

Found here: https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/legendary/sound-canvas-va

Edited by Fwrend

7 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Well, I’m in a slightly different uproad, I guess, as I just bought the RD-88 which comes with 3000 “Zen-sounds” and connects to Zenology :)

Nice! That would probably be my trajectory too. I have a Juno Stage. At the 199.00 regular yearly price for everything I would consider adding another 150 and buying Omnishpere. Same expense as two years rent. Consider  you rent it for 2 years while I would own Omnisphere. 3$ a month won't break the bank. 

I just hope this doesn't catch on because if it does everyone else will do it and I'll be looking at hardware again. The Roland/Cakewalk fiasco probably doesn't help my outlook on this. I'll admit to being biased in favor of owning .vs renting no matter what it is....but that's me.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Well, I’m in a slightly different uproad, I guess, as I just bought the RD-88 which comes with 3000 “Zen-sounds” and connects to Zenology :)

Lol! I guess you are all Zen'd out then Fleer 😵  :)  That must be a beast!

• Haha 1