Best DAW For Audio Editing

Starise

AFAIK, there is no way to pass more than one clip at a time to an editor.

Not sure what an editor brings to the table in this case.

That said, one thing I did like about Samplitude (for the short time I played with it) was the array of tools built into the DAW. Even still, it provided the same type of ability as CbB to integrate third party tools into the DAW.

I suppose it has never bothered me, going out of SONAR and into Sound Forge and then back again, even when you could use Sound Forge within SONAR. I just preferred to work that way. And, thinking about it, I never did that much tweaking of individual tracks anyway, just the finished render. Probably because I've never been a "power user" :)

2 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

I suppose it has never bothered me, going out of SONAR and into Sound Forge and then back again, even when you could use Sound Forge within SONAR.

It works the same today as it always has.

8 hours ago, Starise said:

Most of the time a stereo track that's off on one side by a few milliseconds won't be noticed so I haven't bothered.

Noticed as in you can't tell just by listening to it, but I had the misfortune to try MAutoAlign when it came up during one of his 1/2 off sales. Put it on my drum overheads. Analyze, chug chug, doing! overheads go from sounding good to having this 3-D soundstage they sure didn't have earlier. Acoustic guitar mic'd with 2 close condensers, whoa, it's this 30' foot guitar in my monitors.

You get the same effect lining it up by eye, just not the "wow" moment when the plug-in kicks in, and it depends on how far off and the program material, etc.

I am a big fan of sample-level alignment. I am glad that you are starting to bother with it!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Noticed as in you can't tell just by listening to it, but I had the misfortune to try MAutoAlign when it came up during one of his 1/2 off sales. Put it on my drum overheads. Analyze, chug chug, doing! overheads go from sounding good to having this 3-D soundstage they sure didn't have earlier. Acoustic guitar mic'd with 2 close condensers, whoa, it's this 30' foot guitar in my monitors.

You get the same effect lining it up by eye, just not the "wow" moment when the plug-in kicks in, and it depends on how far off and the program material, etc.

I am a big fan of sample-level alignment. I am glad that you are starting to bother with it!

Thinking about it, I can see why MAutoAlign would have issues with overheads.

Even if you'd measured your mic positions so it was equal distance from the snare, the snare would be the ONLY instrument that would be in time with both mics. Every other drum/cymbal would reach the mics at different times. Any auto-alignment tool would struggle with that if they're all playing together.

If it was say something like a bass amp mic + DI signal then MAutoAlign would work fine.

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Thinking about it, I can see why MAutoAlign would have issues with overheads

Oh, no, it works a treat! I wouldn't mix overheads without it or at least lining them up by eyeball. It's in every template on my overheads, and there whenever I stereo mic. I do measure from the center of my snare batter to the diaphragms of my overheads. I keep a few tailor's measuring tapes around the studio. They come in surprisingly handy for stuff like that.

By "misfortune," I meant that I had the overwhelming impulse to buy it and then go back and apply it to every mix I'd ever done, which is a nasty habit to form.

It happens sometimes when I get a plug-in that is such a step forward that it's a game-changer. Some I can think of that have been like that for me were Unlimited, MAutoAlign and most recently, Phoenix Stereo Reverb. I imagine that many people have gotten Ozone Elements as a freebie and had the urge to turn it loose on all their older material.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I imagine that many people have gotten Ozone Elements as a freebie and had the urge to turn it loose on all their older material.

Nah ... my older material is irredeemable bollocks.:$

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2020 at 5:40 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Oh, no, it works a treat! I wouldn't mix overheads without it or at least lining them up by eyeball. It's in every template on my overheads, and there whenever I stereo mic. I do measure from the center of my snare batter to the diaphragms of my overheads. I keep a few tailor's measuring tapes around the studio. They come in surprisingly handy for stuff like that.

By "misfortune," I meant that I had the overwhelming impulse to buy it and then go back and apply it to every mix I'd ever done, which is a nasty habit to form.

It happens sometimes when I get a plug-in that is such a step forward that it's a game-changer. Some I can think of that have been like that for me were Unlimited, MAutoAlign and most recently, Phoenix Stereo Reverb. I imagine that many people have gotten Ozone Elements as a freebie and had the urge to turn it loose on all their older material.

Thanks for the tip! I have this plugin and had forgotten it. I'll have to pull it out, dust it off and give it a spin again. I finally recall I opened it once and thought about using it, then I forgot I had it. 

• Like 1