"Centre of Everywhere"

bats brew

I liked it - very intense - the drum track really drives the song. The guitar playing is excellent - I would turn up the lead guitar a bit regarding the mix - maybe a bit more compression there to give it more punch. I really liked that breakdown - that was cool.

Good stuff as always.

guitar recording setup for "center of everywhere"

guitar-recording-rig-2020.jpg

3 options: 
direct with the Iridium;
dual path with iridium direct on left, right output to mesa boogie FX loop and out of mesa and speaker cabs using iridium as the preamp/amp signal (either miced cab, or line level via a Palmer PDI-09);
and iridium straight into boogie and miced up typical.

this recording uses all three mixed together.

11 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I liked it - very intense - the drum track really drives the song. The guitar playing is excellent - I would turn up the lead guitar a bit regarding the mix - maybe a bit more compression there to give it more punch. I really liked that breakdown - that was cool.

Good stuff as always.

hi douglas!

glad you like the drum track, i spent quite a bit of time on it getting it right...

really, boiling it DOWN, from where it started.

lead guitar up, check.

the idea of the level of the lead, where it is, is to NOT make it stand out so much, and make it more a melodic part of the whole band playing along...

it's tricky, to make the call, where something can obviously be louder to be featured,

but yet want to draw the listener INWARDS, and not hit them over the head with a solo instrument.

i'm learning....restraint.

LOL

thanks for the comments, i'll be re-visiting the solo guitar levels...

Hi D Just a another super track , ``Transparent´´  that`s  the word I´m often searching for to explanin a a track , you have so many layer`s and yet it never sounds muddled (like mine) the drum`s  are just great , in fact its all rather great   cheer`s

6 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Hi D Just a another super track , ``Transparent´´  that`s  the word I´m often searching for to explanin a a track , you have so many layer`s and yet it never sounds muddled (like mine) the drum`s  are just great , in fact its all rather great   cheer`s

hi paul!

just so glad you found the word....'transparent',

yea, i guess that is a thing i look for while mixing,

finding ways by either eq carving or panning, levels, etc, to make everything have it's own sonic space.

glad you dig it, thanks for listening AND commenting!

5 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Super slick and greasy guitar on this @batsbrew, nice one. 

One tiny little nitpick there is something about that snare sound that just did not quite gel for me, other than that as one would expect from a master such as yourself.

hey wook! slick and greasy,

YEA!!!

heheh,

"say bud, how do you describe your music?"

"Well, i always say, SLICK AND GREASY!"

😁

THANKS WOOK, 

i'm claiming that one.

the snare, yes, the snares....

i have about 30 snares to chose from,

and i have it narrowed down to about 6 that i really like,

this being one of them (i don't remember which one it is, now...i'm using different snares on each song)

there are so many parameter to mix with superior drummer, that can dial in (or out) a snare...

sometimes, i know i can't chose the 'perfect' snare, and i roll with what i have.

snares are about the most personal piece of kit that there is, i think...

moreso than guitars, or keys, or most any other instrument.

i may try another snare or two before i output the final mix,

so if i find a different one that i think it THAT much better,

i'll post the mix before i roll with it.

i appreciate the feedback

• Haha 1