Instructions for saving all projects, plug-in settings etc before a clean install?

I have found the information on performing a clean installation of Band lab Cakewalk. This leads me to some questions.....

1. How do I preserve all of my projects, audio/midi data as well as plug-in settings and how do I restore them after the clean installation?

2. I have arrived at the latest version of Cakewalk by BandLab after upgrading my computer over several years through several Operating systems and several paid versions of Sonar Pro until Sonar Platinum previously and then finally to BandLab Cakewalk when the former company went out of business.

Once I clean install everything will I still have Pro Channel etc. What exactly should I expect to be missing with regard to features I previously enjoyed with Platinum if any?

Thank in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Copious Notes

1 hour ago, Copious Notes said:

I have found the information on performing a clean installation of Band lab Cakewalk. This leads me to some questions.....

1. How do I preserve all of my projects, audio/midi data as well as plug-in settings and how do I restore them after the clean installation?

2. I have arrived at the latest version of Cakewalk by BandLab after upgrading my computer over several years through several Operating systems and several paid versions of Sonar Pro until Sonar Platinum previously and then finally to BandLab Cakewalk when the former company went out of business.

Once I clean install everything will I still have Pro Channel etc. What exactly should I expect to be missing with regard to features I previously enjoyed with Platinum if any?

Thank in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Copious Notes

Your projects will retain all their settings as those are all kept internally within the project file, you just need to make sure you have all the same plugins installed. If you're using custom presets, you'll want to export those, and that will depend on what plugin and how you save them. 

When you're on the new system, you'll probably want to install SONAR Platinum and all of it's plugin content to have first, then install Cakewalk by BandLab after so you can keep using all of the extra included content there (as well as any other 3rd party plugins you're using). 

• Like 2

Thank you for the answer Jonathan.

I guess I should have written that I am wiping the system drive so the old folder structure and content will not be intact on the new install. ( I could also do a reset which will remove the installed applications but leave the files and folders behind if preferable to retain data). It will have a fresh installation of the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. How do I get my projects, data and plug-in settings mentioned in my initial post safely from the old machine back-up to the new one after installing Sonar Platinum and then Cakewalk by Bandlab on the new install? I do of course have a full system backup with everything installed at this time and I have not yet done the reset or reformatted the disk.

Thanks again for the help. I have a lot of time invested in these projects and I do not want to risk losing them.

Copious Notes

18 minutes ago, Copious Notes said:

Thank you for the answer Jonathan.

I guess I should have written that I am wiping the system drive so the old folder structure and content will not be intact on the new install. ( I could also do a reset which will remove the installed applications but leave the files and folders behind if preferable to retain data). It will have a fresh installation of the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. How do I get my projects, data and plug-in settings mentioned in my initial post safely from the old machine back-up to the new one after installing Sonar Platinum and then Cakewalk by Bandlab on the new install? I do of course have a full system backup with everything installed at this time and I have not yet done the reset or reformatted the disk.

Thanks again for the help. I have a lot of time invested in these projects and I do not want to risk losing them.

Copious Notes

That's relative to where you save. By default, the path for all of your projects is C:\Cakewalk Projects. You can simply copy this directory to an external drive (or upload to cloud storage) and then bring it right back on the new install. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a single location for saved plug-in presets? I noticed when reinstalled CbB none of the presets were there. I had a lot of compressor, eq presets created. I was able to recreate many by loading the associated song file and resaving them but being able to save them for a reinstall would be nice.

Edited by Terry Kelley

You project file should have already been backed up to an external or internal data drive. It's living dangerously to not have back ups. 

Most of use do not store our projects on the OS "C" drive. We use a second data drive. A common set up is 3 drives with the 3rd being used for instrument libraries. 

I just updated 2 computers OS drives as they were getting old. I simply made a recovery USB drive, Put in the new SSD and widows was installed and updated. I then had to spend a few hours running Command center and re installing 3rd party plug ins. Because all my projects were on the data drives everything opens exactly the same as the old system. There was very little change most was because CbB updated too. 

A tip for those doing this if you do have the old Splat and the CCC installer is to make a copy of the Command Centers download folder and save it.  I went through mine a deleted old versions and only kept the newest versions and stuff I want.  Install Command center to the new machine and before you install anything else copy the content of that download folder to the newly created download folder. This way nothing needs to be re downloaded and CCC will install stuff fast. 

The folder is found Program Data/Cakewalk/Command center/downloads

When your done running CCC delete these files to save space. Just make sure you have them backed up on a few storage drives. They will never be updated.