Does anyone have Cakewalk/Novation SL MKIII experience?

I'm looking into buying a new controller. I currently use a Novation SL 61 MKII, which I've never been able to get Cakewalk to respond to the transport controls. If you have the new MKIII, doe these work? Also, I'd really like to be able to Undo/Redo as well as switch between or combine tracks from the keyboard.

Thanks,

I have the SL mk3 and I haven't been able to get it working properly with Cakewalk. When I defined the Sl as both an ACT and Mackie/HUI controller, I was able to get most functions to work (including transport), well sort-of. I note that the Mackie/HUI interface is marked as beta and when used, I get an unusable keyboard interaction with sticky keys, missing notes. Hopefully the SL will be supported soon and in particular the 'In Control' feature - which works like a dream with Ableton. 

I tried the AZ Controller but couldn't work out how to program the SL buttons or transport. I tried the HUI preset but again, no transport connection.  

2 hours ago, Steve Owen said:

Hopefully the SL will be supported soon and in particular the 'In Control' feature - which works like a dream with Ableton.

msmcleod still updating MCU and partially HUI compatibility.

Except for Softube Console 1, I can not remember any new device got Cakewalk support from Cakewalk or device producer last 5 (or even more) years.

That is about the hope it "will be supported soon"...

Novation is publishing all technical documentation (not many companies do). Cakewalk has public surface API (not many DAWs have that). So THEORETICALLY anyone can write reasonable integration (including LEDs, display, colors and device specific controls).

In practice only several new devices got reasonable integration, using AZ Controller platform. But that is DIY solution. Not many people was ready to invest significant time and effort to create deep integration. I have written the platform and created several big presets. But I no longer ready to create presets for devices I do not have.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I ended up buying the new Roland Fantom 6. What a great instrument! But, unfortunately it only communicates via it's DAW CTRL interface to Logic Pro.

It works with basic midi commands through Cakewalk, but I haven't figured out yet how to get the Transport controls on the keyboard to work with Cakewalk.

Integrating Fantom as control surface is more challenging then Novation. Novation provides the documentation, Roland does not. From the guide about Logic, Fantom waits for some "handshake" from the DAW and probably will refuse to provide DAW CTRL till it receive it.

Yeah. I think Roland would be up for working with Cakewalk. I've run my problem through their customer service Help, which by the way, they answer fairly quickly. They told me they didn't have a copy of Cakewalk. I didn't mention that it's free. I wish someone who engineers the Cakewalk software would get in touch with Roland. This is their flagship synth/workstation. Cakewalk needs to be in the loop

You know that Roland has sold Cakewalk, right? And shortly after that Roland has "discontinued" related hardware, including $5k VS-700 (no official Windows 10 drivers).

You can try to ask for "DAW CTRL" MIDI protocol documentation. Some companies just make that open (Novation, Ableton, etc.), some give it to developers only (NI), but other keep it "secret" (for no apparent reason). That is most realistic way to make transport (and other controls) working with Cakewalk (and most other DAWs).

FA-x keyboards could be set to Mackie mode, so at least basic transport works. For Fantom Roland mention nothing in that direction in the documentation.

• 4 months later...

Have you tried disabling the ctrl surface handshake, as per this thread? https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/5758-arturia-keylab-mk2-in-cakewalk/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-165577

I got my keylab essential to work that way, after a year of giving up. I am considering buying the fantom and would love to know!