Plain Guitar Signal Mixed With Distorted

twanghang

Question

1) I've got a Steinberg UR44 interface and I have the input knobs set at zero, but when I play through any guitar plugin (Guitar Rig 5, Sigma, etc.) and select a distorted sound, there is still a trace of the clean, original guitar signal that's audible. I sometimes go through my Line 6 Helix into the interface, but even when I plug the guitar straight into the interface, it is still there. Is there a setting in SONAR that I'm overlooking? 

2) When I engage the monitoring button on a track, the tone gets a nasaly midrange bump. I don't recall that happening previously. Is that a setting as well?

Thank you!

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, twanghang said:

1) I've got a Steinberg UR44 interface and I have the input knobs set at zero, but when I play through any guitar plugin (Guitar Rig 5, Sigma, etc.) and select a distorted sound, there is still a trace of the clean, original guitar signal that's audible. I sometimes go through my Line 6 Helix into the interface, but even when I plug the guitar straight into the interface, it is still there. Is there a setting in SONAR that I'm overlooking? 

2) When I engage the monitoring button on a track, the tone gets a nasaly midrange bump. I don't recall that happening previously. Is that a setting as well?

Thank you!

There's 2 ways to monitor single going into Cakewalk (or any host). Direct monitor and (in the case of Cakewalk) Input Echo monitoring. The difference being Direct Monitoring is done directly through your interface and is your dry signal before it goes to the PC. If you're not direct monitoring, when you open a project in Cakewalk, you need to turn on the Input Echo button on a track before any audio passes through it. Input Echo is your signal after it goes through the track/audio engine. This will be affected by any plugins that are there. If you turn the Input Echo button off, and you still hear your dry guitar signal, that means you've got direct monitoring turned on on your interface, either via a control on the hardware or through a software mixer panel that's part of the driver. 

If you hear no audio from your guitar before you turn on input echo, then you still hear some dry guitar when you have an amp sim turned on, then it's something with how you have the signal routed in your project. 

23 hours ago, twanghang said:

Thank you!

I use this interface, just to be sure we are on the same page, you plug your guitar lead into the UR44 and set the input so that it only slightly glows red/or just under red on your hardest part of playing for the piece. Then you can go into your DSP mixer and whatever channel your on you can pull the volume slider right down to stop the direct return from the UR44 from coming back to you or you can mute that channel but it will still be going to your DAW. You can then set a track to record from the selected input and put guitar rig on that track as an effect and press the monitor button. So now it's going through the computer and guitar rig and that should be all you hear. Is this right?