Epic Babies in Kontakt 5

X-53mph

I don't know if this is a CbB issue or Kontakt 5 or Epic Babies or all three, but...

I've been trying to use Epic Babies by PulseSetter Sounds in Kontakt 5 (full addition) and everytime I stop the recording engine in CbB, I lose all sound in this particular library. The only way to get the sound back is to close the library (not Kontakt) and reopen it. But as soon as I stop the recording engine again, I lose sound.

As I don't appear to have a problem with any other library, I think it may just be that particular one.

Has anyone else come across this problem before?

38 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I don't know if it's the same problem.

Kontakt works great with everything else in CbB except with this library. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, but did you check anyway? It's possible for a volume CC to get zeroed out. Silence.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link and the help.

It's not a drop in volume - all inputs from MIDI are lost after stopping the audio engine. The player becomes unresponsive.

Keyboard becomes unresponsive (only on that track) and any MIDI written to the track no longer plays. The virtual keyboard on Kontakt stops moving (which wouldn't happen if it was just a drop in volume). 

I'm guessing no-one else has had this problem then.

13 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Thanks for the link and the help.

It's not a drop in volume - all inputs from MIDI are lost after stopping the audio engine. The player becomes unresponsive.

Keyboard becomes unresponsive (only on that track) and any MIDI written to the track no longer plays. The virtual keyboard on Kontakt stops moving (which wouldn't happen if it was just a drop in volume). 

I'm guessing no-one else has had this problem then.

For some crazy reason, some Kontakt instruments use CC #1 (modulation) for volume. If you've got reset controllers on stop checked, then this is correctly set to zero, which unfortunately sets the volume of these instruments to 0.

IMO this is a really bad design decision on the part of the Kontakt instrument designers as the default value for CC#1 is 0, not 127.

The workaround is to insert a MIDI CC#1 with a value of 127 at the beginning of your clip.

• Thanks 2

This happens with some of the Reaktor instruments too, and they even have strange things controlling pitch bend, so that once playback is stopped - some instruments go to zero volume, while some others drop in pitch a whole step.  Pretty dumb instrument design.

Bob Bone