Ripchord 2.2

Carlos  Iglesias

You don't put it anywhere.  Extract it from the Zip and in the plugin use the import option, you can multi-select.  It then copies the files into the right place (on Windows I believe it puts them in %APPDATA%\Trackbout\Ripchord\Presets) After you have imported any presets you can delete them.  I would say you could just copy them over yourself, but I'm not sure if there isn't more to it than that, so I'd stick with the import option in the plugin.

Does anyone get chords to turn up on the piano after importing midi files? How does one do that?

I can see the name but that's all.

I do import genuine chord progression midi files. Those chords play fine in the pianoroll.

Is there a manual somewhere? I have seen the youtube ones and they don't explain this mystery with perfect import of midi files as promised but it doesn't do anything. Are we allowed to complain? He never promised that the midi would do anything. :D

If you start with the New Preset option, then import the MIDI file.  It will assign each white key to a note in the file, in order.  You can then switch to edit mode and use the arrows to move the blue keys to where you want them and maybe edit them by selecting the step. 

But I'm not sure what kind of MIDI files it will import.  All my successful tests were simple, single track MIDI 0 files, when I tried to do a more complex MIDI file I got nothing on the import.  I think it's a bit picky about what track it will take?  The files it failed on were Type 1 MIDI files with two tracks, a tempo track (with only one setting) and a note track.  It wouldn't import them (though I'd think it should have) all I got was a blank keyboard, but no errors either.

• Like 2

Matt was correct in that it appears to only allow you to input single track MIDI type 0 files.   And it can only be block chords - single notes will not work.  So, I don't think the MIDI import feature is of much use - you might as well just enter the chords directly on their keyboard.   Besides, when you enter manually you can name the chord, plus you can enter individual notes.     Also observe that you are free to enter a note that is not the note you are playing.  So you might create a CMAJ7 chord and then put an individual E note that would normally be a C#.  So you can create some interesting, easy to play progressions, for instance, alternating between chords and bass notes.  

And yes,  they do need a manual.  Older videos show some of the features not mentioned in the latest video with perhaps the most important feature being that you are not limited to one keypress.    So you might set up basic chords that one finger plays and upper extensions that another finger could play.

Finally, I've found that RipChord is great fun feeding into Chord Potion.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

I managed to import a  midi file that was full of single notes and chords badly played (by me) and it recognised  them fine including single notes and lay them out across the keyboard. I was very impressed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Single notes seemed to work for me, but I'll admit I didn't look at it very closely. 

I quickly hacked together a small command line EXE to convert Type 1 MIDI files into single track Type 0 files and that seemed to work for making Ripchord happy.  Though I'm pretty sure tossing track 0 and any tracks above 1 and setting the file to Type 0 might not exactly be the best "convert to Type 0" system.   I wonder if I could have found an already made solution faster than my hack?

I'd bet you could load the MIDI into Cakewalk and then save it out as Type 0.

14 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I'd bet you could load the MIDI into Cakewalk and then save it out as Type 0.

That's exactly what I was doing for years starting with version 3 of Cakewalk professional (for windows 3.1) :) that one particularly was very reliable in handling MIDI.

• Great Idea 1