MIDI Sound on Sound Recording

So here I am trying to record two separate MIDI parts on ONE MIDI clip in multiple takes.  After I finished the second part, I see only my new notes showing but I hear both.

SILLY STUPID ME!!! I thought they were going to both be on the same MIDI clip BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA I guess not. 🤬😠

Shift+T to show lanes.

I don't usually want sound-on- sound MIDI recordings to be destructively merged into one clip, but I have requested previously for sound-on-sound MIDI to be displayed as merged in the comp/parent track when lanes are collapsed.

• Like 1

I normally just expand the take lanes so that  each clip is shown in its own lane.

MIDI clips don't support layers like audio tracks do, so each clip needs to be on its own lane for them all to be played together.

I hate the way they end up in separate clips now. Why would you want fragmented clips all over the place for the same instrument part ?

Maybe it's just my playing that sucks but I son't always get it in one pass and some things are easier done in two or three passes

It's just another added step having to bounce them all to one afterwards  - I'm sure this never used to happen, and that they would all just automatically merge into one clip. ?  Or am I going nuts ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, David Baay said:

I don't usually want sound-on- sound MIDI recordings to be destructively merged into one clip, but I have requested previously for sound-on-sound MIDI to be displayed as merged in the comp/parent track when lanes are collapsed.

I would like them destructively merged into one clip ( if I didn't I'd insert another midi track to trigger the same instrument ) but I think this is a good solution you have suggested.

• Like 1

Helos, If I'm working in prv I don't select any clips. I just select the midi track before I open prv and all the notes show up for that track. I'm not much of a keyboard player so I comp everything a section at a time using sound on sound. I record in a linear fashion so the last take I did will always show up. I If need to see whats behind it I click on a spot before my last take. I don't even use take lanes , everything is moved to the top. Now .. when I do different layers (like playing left hand bass parts) I use a different midi track. I don't do bounce to clips until I'm "finished" with the project. This is my not recommended but works for me approach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Why would you want fragmented clips all over the place for the same instrument part ?

- Differentiate drum kit pieces.

- Differentiate harmony/voice 'lines'.

- Separate rhythm parts or chord progressions from melodies played on the same instrument (sometimes doubled with linked clips on another instrument track).

- Try out different combinations/permutations of alternate takes by clip/lane muting.

- Easily discard a take later on when you decide it's not what you want.

- Isolate keyswitches.

- etc...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Helos Bonos said:

How do you select a clip that is behind another clip?

The only sure-fire way I have found is to switch the cursor to the "Select" tool and drag it across the track, making sure you've selected everything that's showing (everything you want, that is). Then Bounce to Clips. Every other selection method sometimes fails. Of course, you'll forget to switch back to the Smart Tool when you're done, but that will be made apparent soon enough. 🙃

Edited by Larry Jones
clarity

I guess I never have this problem because I find myself doing what I've always done since 1984.  

Play the part until I screw up. Rewind to a pre rollin point, start and punch in at the appropriate place. This can be done in multiple ways. Most times I simply use one hand to hit the "R" key while the other starts playing the part. I can also use the automated punch in if I'm feeling techy, or my favorite these days is my USB footswitch which is programed to transmit "R" "W" and space bar.  

One track, one take. no muss no fuss. It will contain minor mistakes which are easy to edit. I really do prefer to try to play a part a well as I can as opposed to heavy editing. I find it real confusing to have 10 takes each with flaws. 

@Larry Jones No, I mean just select the clip that is behind the one in front of it. I know if I drag across, it will select all and I can bounce to a clip which. I had to do that because I didn't know how to switch back and forth between the two clips.

@John Vere I'm not much of a pianist thus heavy editing will be needed. But you reminded me of another question I had about CbB. Is it possible to punch in without having an end mark? I wanted to just punch in a place and play to the end of the song but I was frced to create an end point. I don't think I had this problem in other DAWs and found it to be yet another CbB annoyance.

I'll have to try that @mark skinner.

@David Baay you have some valid points. I would keep drums parts on separate tracks. But is it possible to send multiple MIDI tracks to one instrument like an Aux?

16 minutes ago, Helos Bonos said:

No, I mean just select the clip that is behind the one in front of it. I know if I drag across, it will select all and I can bounce to a clip which. I had to do that because I didn't know how to switch back and forth between the two clips.

Ya got me there. I don't think I've ever had to do that, but I'm gonna guess if you open the take lanes under your MIDI track you'll figure it out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Helos Bonos said:

I would keep drums parts on separate tracks. But is it possible to send multiple MIDI tracks to one instrument like an Aux?

Sure. So long as you just have an audio track set to receive the output of the drum synth (making it a 'Synth' track), you can route as many MIDI tracks to the synth as you like. But using lanes of a track makes for easier application of drum maps and editing in the PRV as well as helping to keep the track count down.  Having drum parts on separate tracks gives you some added flexibility to mix with MIDI controls. I don't usually bother with that now, but it would be nice to have per-lane velocity offset controls. 

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

It's just another added step having to bounce them all to one afterwards  - I'm sure this never used to happen, and that they would all just automatically merge into one clip. ?  Or am I going nuts ?

You may be right, but at least according to my memory, several later versions of Sonar did work like CbB.

11 hours ago, Mwah said:

You may be right, but at least according to my memory, several later versions of Sonar did work like CbB.

I skipped the entire X series and Platinum so for me I went up to Sonar 8.5 , used it for a decade and then direct to  CBB  ( not only do I think I was on a better version of the DAW for most of that time but I saved a lot of money too  )