BSOD when disconnecting Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen

I have a Lenovo V310 on Windows 10 build 18363.815 and Cakewalk 2020.04.

When Cakewalk is open and I disconnect a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen (ASIO driver), it results in a Blue Screen of Death. This doesn't happen if Cakewalk is not open.

BSOD message is: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION. FocusriteUSBSwRoot.sys.

Update: I tried the same with Ableton (ASIO mode). It pops up a message but doesn't blue screen. The bug is specific to Cakewalk.

Edited by Orlando Ramírez

4 hours ago, Orlando Ramírez said:

When Cakewalk is open and I disconnect a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen (ASIO driver), it results in a Blue Screen of Death. This doesn't happen if Cakewalk is not open.

Are you using the latest Focusrite drivers (or if you're feeling extra game, the latest BETA Focusrite drivers)

http://www.focusrite.com/downloads

http://beta.focusrite.com

23 hours ago, Orlando Ramírez said:

BSOD message is: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION. FocusriteUSBSwRoot.sys.

Update: I tried the same with Ableton (ASIO mode). It pops up a message but doesn't blue screen. The bug is specific to Cakewalk.

Yeah. I think the same thing would happen to me. I have 1st gen 18i8. I don't disconnect audio interfaces when Cakewalk is running so I don't know for sure.

I do have a similar problem, when I change ASIO buffer size which is usually dodgy after the first attempt which works flawlessly. But if I'm searching for the smallest buffer size possible, I'll change the buffer size multiple times. Using the buffer size is always iffy and the Focusrite buffer size popup stays under Cakewalk after the first change. And once in a while, I'll get a BSOD.

Both Cakewalk and Focusrite have made software updates to resolve this problem. But not there yet.

• 1 month later...

I had the Focusrite 4.64.15.598 beta driver on my machine for a while, but at some point started getting auto-BSODs on boot. Booting to safe mode and removing the driver fixed that. Went back to the previous official release: 4.63.24.564, which BSODs sometimes when I change the buffer size, but at least the machine boots again.

Just went to Focusrite seeing if they'd ever updated the beta driver to a less problematic version. They currently list no beta drivers for their USB interfaces. But that's because they put out a new official release: 4.65.5.658

I've booted (once so far) with the new driver installed and no BSOD problem, so good so far. Maybe I can even change the buffer size without crashing the entire system... fingers crossed!

I had to disable my USB 3.0 Ports due to a USB error when disconnecting my Focusrite.   Also came up randomly by it's self (BSOD) and traced down to the driver for USB.  Since I was using the latest driver for USB (not Focusrite driver), I just disabled the 3.0 ports.  After that, not more random or pulled cable BSOD.

I was getting desperate due to the recovery from it was getting risky - once I had to spend four hours recovering  . . .   Since then I do weekly back ups of the C drive - just in case . . . 

Since this was a laptop - I don't believe I had any other choice (can't replace USB easily)

Syphus