Why isn't my internal soundcard working with Cakewalk?

Steve Guckemus

Question

Hi folks.

I'm fairly new to Cakewalk, using this quarentine time to learn how to mix audio.

Hardware: Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming Laptop, DigiTech GNX4workstation connected over USB.

I've successfully completed a few projects working with both Audio and MIDI tracks, but the process is cumbersome and I have to believe I am doing something wrong.

Cakewalk Sees my GNX4 when the drivers are set to ASIO.  I can record to Cakewalk and hear all computer output through the headphone jack of the GNX4. I can mix my audio down no problem.

What is frustrating me is this:

1. With GNX4 connected and cakewalk running, my computer audio does not work. This is frustrating because since I am learning, I'm often trying to reference instructional material, and that means saving and closing, then opening back up.

2. Idije to be able to move from my "studio" once I've recorded and mix while laying in bed. But without the workstation attached nothing plays from my headphones connected to my computer.

Is there a simple obvious setup step I'm overlooking? I've tried playing with track inputs and outputs but my computer and headphones do not appear on the dropdowns.

Assistance with my first world problems would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

I noticed that your unit has outputs for both speakers and headphones, which should allow output from your other pc programs to be heard, simultaneously as well. This should work when your device is connected. I think you probably would have to change the audio device in preferences to your internal one when disconnected. 

Hi Steve,

Making sure your internal sound card is "active," as oneofmany suggested and be sure to change your Driver Mode to WASAPI Shared under Preferences | Audio | Playback and Recording.  Most, if not all, internal sound cards do not work in ASIO mode.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Thanks for the responses folks. 

To clarify, when I have my unit set up (Laptop---[USB]--->GNX4---[1/4" Headphone jack]--->Headphones) 
yes, I can hear computer sounds (Win10 chimes, Facebook Notifications etc) and Cakewalk outputs.
However, if I try and say, listen to an MP3 in Media Player, or Watch A YouTube Video, I get popup messages. Ideally I'd like to be about to seamlessly switch between working in Cakewalk, and referring to instructional videos, testing my mp3 outputs, etc.  Currently, to do those things I have to save and close out of cakewalk, and then open it back up. Its not the end of the world, just cumbersome. 

On the second note, Switching to WASAPI Shared seems to have made me some progress. I can now set output to my speakers. But do I have to do it on a track by track basis? or is there a quick way to reroute all output to my speakers at once?

Appreciate the assistance.

14 minutes ago, Steve Guckemus said:

On the second note, Switching to WASAPI Shared seems to have made me some progress. I can now set output to my speakers. But do I have to do it on a track by track basis? or is there a quick way to reroute all output to my speakers at once?

All of the audio tracks and  buses should be routed to a default "master" bus. This bus should be pointed to the hardware.

This is how all the project templates bundled with CbB work.

When the hardware changes, the default bus needs to point to the new hardware and the rest of the project is unchanged.

Quick groups can change more than one track/bus output (or most other settings)

When running CbB and Windows using the same audio device make sure the sample rate in CbB and Windows are the same.