Cakewalk won't start unless I set a Windows Display Custom Scaling value is set [SOLVED]]

Hi

I was having a problem of Cakewalk  shutting down when I launch it. I launched Cakewalk, the Cakewalk flash screen opened.  Then the application window opened then the Cakewalk immediately  shut  down. The problem occurred with Cakewalk and Sonar X3.  The problem didnot  occur with any other audio or windows applications.  This problem started right after i installed a new Dell Monitor  S Series 32"  (S3219D).  But I swapped the new Dell monitor with my old monitor and Cakewalk won't startup with the old monitor either.

I figured out a workaround which is to set a Windows Display Settings > Custom Scaling value.  If I don't set a Custom Scaling  value, Cakewalk shuts down after I attempt to start it.

So If I want to set the resolution to 2560 x 1440,  I must also set a Custom Scaling value of (100).

Kinda strange.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Update

Solved.

Set Calkwalk.exe compatibility.

Tick "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by" = Application

Edited by Angelo DiBraccio
  • Confused 1

Hi @Angelo DiBraccio
Very strange. I'd like to investigate, but I need a bit more information.
Firstly, what version of Windows are you using?
Secondly, please would you attach screenshots of these three things:
1. Settings -> Display (the 'Scale and layout' section, in particular)?
2. Right click on Cakewalk.exe, choose Properties from the menu, then select the Compatibility tab.
3. Click the 'Change high DPI settings button'.
That might help me get to the bottom of it.
Many thanks!
Ben

Hi Ben 

Thank you for responding.

The problem that I described before the Update   section of my post has been completely solved by setting  the High DPI properties I mentioned in the  Update  section of my post.

So, in a nutshell,  the problem has been completely solved by the ticking "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by" and selecting "Application" in the combo box.  Cakewalk now launches consistently and I can set any resolution with or without a regular or custom scaling in Windows display settings.

If I untick "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by" or it it is ticked and I select anything  other than "Application" in the combo box, Cakewalk shuts down when I attempt to launch it. In this case, the first workaround I mentioned before the Update  section of my post still works, which is to set a custom scaling value. The custom scaling value can be any value from 100 to 500. This behavior is absolutely consistent.

Regards

Angelo

Display Settings.png

Cakewalk Compatitililty Settings.png

Cakewalk High DPI settings.png

@Angelo DiBraccio
Thanks for the quick response, Angelo, and for the extra info/screenshots.
By default, the 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' checkbox should be unchecked, but I realize that causes the startup problem in your case.
It's possible that checking it will cause some layout issues, but you might be OK because your 'Scale and layout' setting is 100%, so there's no scaling involved either way.
I've tried to reproduce without any success so far. I'll let you know if I figure it out, but I'm pleased to hear you're up and running anyway.

Ben

I have no scaling problems with regular or custom scaling.  I want to point out that the problem of Cakewalk shutting down occurred immediately after I connected my new Dell monitor (s3219D) 32". Never had the problem before I used the new monitor.

Thanks again

Hi Noel

The problem is solved by using the settings I described above, but without these settings, Cakewalk consistently shuts down.

The Flash Screen opens, then the application window appears  for about 2 seconds. Then Cakewalk shuts down. There is no crash dialog.  I am using English language..

Attached is a cakewalk .dmp file generated today, when I changed the DPI settings.

Regards

Angelo

Update

I have a different monitor that I am testing as a possible keeper.

It's Samsung 43" 7 Series 4k Smart TV. The problem exists with the new monitor.

As long as I tick  "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by" = Application,  no problems.

05122020_091125.dmp