Prochannel and Gain Not Affecting Track Sound

New session, new issue.

I have a vocal track with Melodyne on it. I'm trying to raise the level. Fader moves are audible. Gain all the way up or down not audible. I make  drastic changes in EQ, not audible. Prochannel is on. But when I disable Melodyne, then I can hear the changes. Why is Melodyne affecting my track like this?

I have Melodyne on the track itself. I couldn't figure out how to put in on as a region effect but thinking back, I could have put Melodyne on each clip. But would that be less efficient on my CPU? I didn't put Prochannel anywhere other than it's default location on the track.

Melodyne is not a normal FX plug-in. While it may be placed in the FX rack, the audio signal does not pass through the plug-in. Instead the signal originates from the plug-in using the data transferred to it.

• Like 1

@scook I guess it makes sense now.

@lapasoa Meaning when I raise or lower the fader, I can hear the volume change.

@msmcleod Thanks for that. That's what I tried to begin with but all the options in the context menu were greyed out so I had to put Melo on as a track effect.

Sometimes when I go back to listen to my edits, I hear things that I missed or want to fix so I never want to commit to rendering the edits. Is it better to freeze the track when done editing or should I render to a new track and archive the original track in case I need to fix something? Or it is six of one, half dozen of the other?

The default location for the Melodyne VST3 plug-in is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Celemony\Melodyne

I believe clicking Melodyne 4 in Windows Apps & Features and running Modify will allow adding the VST3 if it has not been installed.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 3:19 AM, scook said:

Melodyne is not a normal FX plug-in. While it may be placed in the FX rack, the audio signal does not pass through the plug-in. Instead the signal originates from the plug-in using the data transferred to it.

So if Melodyne is used in the FX bin, you would need to right-click in Prochannel and set it to 'Post FX Rack' for it to have an effect (no pun intended).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Helos Bonos said:

How do I do this? I'm sure I would have installed the VST3 version when installing Melo. Should I reinstall?

Sometimes the region effects don't show up for me unless I bounce the clip. I think if the clip is edited in certain ways it makes the region efx unavailable. Once I bounce I can then apply the Region EFX again.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Sometimes the region effects don't show up for me unless I bounce the clip. I think if the clip is edited in certain ways it makes the region efx unavailable. Once I bounce I can then apply the Region EFX again.

So, I think you're right. I gridded the vocal clips before Melodyning. That's probably why it wouldn't show up as a region effect. I tried it on some other vocals that I did not edit and was able to add the region effect. DARN! Now I'm stuck with it this way. I already tuned the first chorus. My intention was to take that chorus and copy/paste to other parts of the song. But with Melodyne on the whole track, I guess I'll have to bounce it first.