Simultaneous multiple midi inputs to separate tracks

HI

I am trying to configure Cakewalk to accept two different midi inputs simultaneously. I have been using a digital piano and midi usb interface and recently added a NI Komplete controller, each has its own interface cable.  I am assuming I should be able to assign separate midi input ports to each track and to control each midi input signal separately.

There are two parts to my question the first is whether simultaneous multiple midi inputs to separate tracks is possible. The second is that there seems to be a deeper problem concerning midi port assignment that may have to do with windows, that is preventing me from changing midi ports at all.

Once I setup Cakewalk for Komplete controller using the Komplete Kontrol EXT-1 and DAW-1, cakewalk no longer accepts to load the older interface, even after closing Cakewalk, turning off the NI controller , reopening CW, starting a new project and re configuring the midi devices as I have for years ( Input midi uno interface) . I am receiving a Windows reporting insufficient memory message. (computer has 64 G of RAM processor is i7 9700k, Windows 10 pro).

Presently both midi interfaces indicate signals are being transmitted and MIDI OX confirms reception of the midi signal from both controllers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Heb Gnawd
Extraneous word

42 minutes ago, Heb Gnawd said:

There are two parts to my question the first is whether simultaneous multiple midi inputs to separate tracks is possible.

Not sure exactly what this means, but you can do all of the following:

- Have a single track record and echo MIDI from multiple input ports (choose Omni or see 'Manage Presets' option in the MIDI Input pick list).

- Have multiple tracks record and echo from the same MIDI port (pick the same Input port for both tracks - with or without differentiating channels).

- Have different tracks record and echo from different ports, exclusively (pick a different port for each track's Input  - with or without restricting the channel ).

42 minutes ago, Heb Gnawd said:

cakewalk no longer accepts to load the older interface

What does this mean in terms of where exactly you run into a problem? Can't see the device in Preferences > MIDI> Devices? What is the device, and are you using MME or UWP driver mode for MIDI interfaces?  FWIW, I've had a problem  that started with the last major Win 10 update that I have to power up my MOTU USB MIDI interface after booting. If it's powered up during boot, Windows shows the driver loaded, but no application sees the driver. 

Edited by David Baay

Hello David. thanks for responding.  Its the third option :

Have different tracks record and echo from different ports, exclusively (pick a different port for each track's Input  - with or without restricting the channel ).   

When I select the interface connected to the digital piano in the midi device input preference here ( see image 1)

image1.JPG.c400ad2d7ee4de4cdb03cf81b5b510e4.JPG

I receive this message:

image2.JPG.eeb58fce31c0bb9c500dab632ee79513.JPG

I've never seen that before which makes me think it's related to UWP driver mode for MIDI. If so, try changing to the default MME mode under MIDI > Playback and Recording.  So fas as I know, there's no performance or functional advantage to using UWP mode with hardware connections. It's main benefit is supporting Blutooth.

My old multiport MOTU interface driver only exposes a single port in UWP mode, and there ar eno errors reported, but it doesn't work.

In my case, toggling power to the USB MIDI interface off/on after booting also reloads the driver properly. So it's not necessary to reboot. But I suspect your issue is different.

Here's thread that might help you find the cause of that error message, specifically:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/quotthere-is-not-enough-memory-availablequot-prompt-when-utilizing-samson-keyboard-m3595932.aspx

• Great Idea 1

Thanks for the link.  Rebooting didn’t help there are no cakewalk ghost processes running and the MIDI ports seem to be clear.  

However, today I am not getting a signal from the digital piano (Kurtzweil RG100)   its an old work horse, faithful as they come, but its 30 years old.  Though I was getting a signal before today, its hard to see this as a coincidence.  My suspicion now is the problem was always the keyboard. I will know when I replace it.

Until then thanks for your help

6 hours ago, Heb Gnawd said:

(Kurtzweil RG100)   its an old work horse, faithful as they come, but its 30 years old.

I only recently retired my Roland RD-300s, purchased new in 1988. It's having a second life in my son-in-law's studio. 

I'm adding this post script for others who encounter this problem . This is a  Windows problem. I assumed the keyboard was not outputing MIDI because MIDI-OX was not registering  a signal .  The fact that the same keyboard shows up red in Ableton Live eliminated Cakewalk from the equation.  I just thought to connect the same  keyboard to my MACBook  and saw the signal was being sent and recorded correctly into Garage band.  Something in WIndows MIDI port configuration is blocking the device.  The Cakewalk memory message is the same as the Ableton red highlight , I think it just means there is a driver or port problem with the device.

If I ever figure out how to fix this I'll add another post script, but for now anyway , I wont be replacing the piano.

SO the problem was Komplete Kontrol.  True to its name , its power to usurp and lock MIDI ports is complete.  Simply having once used a midi interface in conjunction with this keyboard seems to have reserved it exclusively.  When I got a second interface for the NI controller  and tried to use the first one for my piano, it was  no longer available.  I couldn't  even reinstall the drivers for this MIDI interface because of a devise descendant allocation. 

I had to uninstall Komplete Kontrol in order to reinstall the MIDI driver , and now the two MIDI inputs are working side by side in Cakewalk

Thanks for your help!