Events disappearing in MIDI control lanes

Hi. I'm going nuts here!

I am trying to map a mod wheel to a strings plug in. Everything works just fine when playing live but the event (bow expression in the strings) is not recording in the MIDI control lanes. When using Waves Element for example, I can simply left click on a parameter and ask it to learn by moving then the mod wheel. That then works okay when recording, but with other plugins its not. I selected the correct target in the control lane but it just doesn't record the events. and then disappears!

Has anybody got some ideas?

Cheers :)

On 5/9/2020 at 7:28 AM, David Mulchrone said:

I can simply left click on a parameter and ask it to learn by moving then the mod wheel.

We're talking about a physical mod wheel on a controller keyboard, right? In most cases, moving the the mod wheel in the synth UI will not generate MIDI output that can be recorded, and it would require a special setup to captuer and route it correctly if it did.

So, assuming we're talking about a physical mod wheel, recording modulation events and getting them to control the desired synth parameter are two different tasks. If you're not able to record modulation events from your keyboard at all, it has nothing to do with what synth the track is driving or whether MIDI learn is working.

And you don't need to set up a controller lane in advance to record controllers from a physical mod wheel on a keyboard/controller. Assuming you can record MIDI notes from your keyboard, then port and channel assignments are correct, and the only thing that would prevent controllers being recorded would be that the box to enable recording of Controlllers in Preferences > MIDI > Playback and Recoridng has been unchecked (it's enabled by default).

If it's checked, you don't even need to have a synth set up to arm a MIDI track and record notes and controllers. Then, when you double click the MIDI track to open it in the PRV, and show the Controller pane, the mod wheel events will be displayed automatically.

So the first task is to get recording of controllers working, and then we can worry about whether the synth is responding to them as expected.

• Great Idea 1