from mp3 to midi

DNP

Somebody help me, please:  When I convert a file from mp3 to midi, it sounds completely different on Cakewalk. I don't hear high-pitched sounds. What should I do?

Well the first thing to know is that's known as "audio to MIDI" conversion.

The resulting MIDI track may or may not be an accurate depending on the nature of the source audio. YMMV.

Assuming the the resulting MIDI track(s) are close, you would still need to assign the MIDI to play back through instrument sounds similar to the original.

In general "audio to MIDI" conversion does not work well on full arrangements of songs (more than one part), as the technology cannot separate the instrument sounds once they are in a mix. You can't "unmix" audio. So you would probably need to be working with the individual audio tracks.

The best results are usually with single instruments that play a single note at a time (solo melody or rhythmic parts). The premium versions of Melodyne can convert harmonic parts with chords of a single instrument.

Edited by abacab

At a cost you can "somewhat" unmix a song using either Acid Pro or XTRAX STEMS. They both produce a bass, vocal and "others" separate tracks.

Again depending on the source material it can either be good enough to use as a guide to record replacement parts or it can be utter $h^te.

Edited by Bapu

I used XTRAX on four songs recorded in 1974 (in a semi-pro studio) and it did a fair job. Mind you it was only for the purposes of extracting the vocals to be used as a guide track  for a new singer (the original singer is now off the grid so to speak). But we three (bass guitar & drums) were going to re-record our parts for gits and shiggles.