No sound/extreme distortion

EdwardB

Hi there!

So I downloaded Cakewalk and I installed the Asio4all driver, but the sound still doesn't work. Sometimes I have no sound at all, sometimes there's a highly distorted sound. The strange thing is that a few hours ago, it suddenly worked perfectly for a few minutes. After getting back on my computer a few hours later and opening Cakewalk, it went back to it's audio problem.

Anyone who has an idea how to solve this? I really hope we can solve this, because Cakewalk seems like the best DAW I'd ever use. If you need more information, just ask me. :)

58 minutes ago, William W. Saunders, Jr. said:

You always need to tell us at least your computer setup (MOBO, CPU, RAM, OS,) your sound device, etc.  Otherwise no one will have a clue as to how to help you.

BTW: Asio4all is not a recommended option and is likely the cause of your problem but unless you tell us more, no one will be able to help.

Yeah sorry, I was using my other pc to post, here are the specs:

Acer Aspire A717-71G laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU
@ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz
16 GB RAM
x64 processor
Windows 10 Home
motherboard: Charizard_KLS V1.13
Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)
ASIO4all v2

Common problems when using the internal PC chip are

• running Windows and CbB at different sample rates (audio devices run at one sample rate at a time)
  • using the Realtek ASIO driver (bad driver)
  • using small buffer setting (trying to achieve low latency a small buffer setting may cause distortion)

If the Realtek ASIO driver is installed adding ASIO4All can be a problem because there are 2 ASIO "drivers" installed for the same device. If both are installed consider removing one or both of them.

When running Win10 try using the WASAPI driver modes.

8 hours ago, scook said:

Common problems when using the internal PC chip are

• running Windows and CbB at different sample rates (audio devices run at one sample rate at a time)
  • using the Realtek ASIO driver (bad driver)
  • using small buffer setting (trying to achieve low latency a small buffer setting may cause distortion)

If the Realtek ASIO driver is installed adding ASIO4All can be a problem because there are 2 ASIO "drivers" installed for the same device. If both are installed consider removing one or both of them.

When running Win10 try using the WASAPI driver modes.

Thanks you for your input!

So I already changed a lot the driver mode to all possibilities (ASIO, MME, WASAPI shared, WASAPI exclusive and WDM/KS) but those didn't seem to work. Today I just restarted Cakewalk again, changed it to WASAPI shared and suddenly it works again!

I'm glad it's working right now, but I don't understand why the sound is fine right now, but a few hours ago, with the same driver mode, it didn't work. Is it something depending on my machine or Cakewalk? (maybe a noobie question, but I'm just trying to learn from this situation :) )

Cheers!