Any harm in upgrading my video card?

Clint Martin

Hi Clint,

We've seen high DPC Latency from the latest Nvidia RTX-2xxx series.  

Nvidia will ultimately get that ironed out... but avoid those for now.

No trouble at all with the GTX-1xxx series...

I'd recommend a GTX-1060.  It'll work just fine for most gaming, AutoCAD, video editing/rendering... and isn't overly expensive.

We don't sell individual parts.

• Thanks 1

+1 for the 1060, I recently got one of those to boost the video editing capabilities of my machine and for 3d compositing. I got a 6gb one. I only install the windows drivers and nothing else. Didn't notice any adverse effects on any software on my machine or higher latency etc.

I used to run a video editing and multimedia studio some years ago, from memory, I think the Autocad guys like the Nvidia Quadro cards although they are a specialty card, quite expensive and have other features you might not need. Autocad is more demanding of the computer CPU, ram etc than it is of the GPU ram. 2gig will probably be fine. If your thinking gaming though, stretch to 4gig GPU if you can. The GTX 10 series cards are plentiful on Ebay or Gumtree etc because gamers routinely upgrade (mainly for more ram and more recent cards), if you don't mind buying secondhand you can get a good deal, especially on a 2gig one. I think the 2gig new have come down in price as well.

I think the 1060 2-4gig would suit you nicely. Be aware it is a big card so make sure you have room! should fit into any full tower, also takes up 2 slots. I also remember being conscious of the fan size for noise as my computer is extremely quiet and has a solid metal case. I haven't noticed any extra noise, don't think it even turns on for music uses, nothing worse than a roaring computer in the background of your recordings!  if it is turning on for video editing, I am not noticing it.

• Like 1

@Tezza Thanks. I use AutoCAD a lot for work, but as for the gaming, it would only be for iracing. That would be the only game I would play. Sounds like either card would probably work and I do have a fairly large tower.

I'll open it up and see how much room is in there. It could probably use a good cleaning anyway.

A great topic, and at a good time for me before I spec up mu next workstation 👍

On 2/10/2019 at 9:01 PM, Clint Martin said:

The problem is I'm a huge geeky race fan, and would like to add a racing sim called iracing.

I'd be no good at iRacing... Can't put in the required time to "get gud." I'd probably consider Project Cars for my next PC...

On 2/10/2019 at 9:01 PM, Clint Martin said:

I would also like to use AutoCAD

I also use AutoCAD "professionally." Well, when I'm working anyway haha! But when I needed to do some work at home I used something called BricsCAD which allows you to work on DWG files. Much cheaper, and you can still buy it outright, although when it comes to "add-on" pages, or AutoCAD Plant 3D, which is my default tool nowadays, then it has to be AutoCAD.

Anyway, I'm waffling... Back to GPU stuff!

On 2/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

We've seen high DPC Latency from the latest Nvidia RTX-2xxx series.  

Nvidia will ultimately get that ironed out... but avoid those for now.

Thanks for the heads up Jim 👍

7 hours ago, StarTekh said:

I am currently looking at that one. It is touted as being a 0dB card.

I was going for a "mid" tower though so I may have to have a think about that. I suppose a full tower would be easier to cool...

cheers

andy

On 2/11/2019 at 5:09 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

Hi John,

GTX-1050, 1060, 1070, 1080 (and Ti varieties) are just fine.

Hi Jim thanks for that. I am casually looking for a new graphics card. It is not a priority. 

What was funny is I have Davinci  Resolve which checks ones graphics card and it said it OK but it wont be good for so many things that Resolve can do. LOL 

In using it I found it makes my videos look really good where Vegas Video Pro is, shall we say, not as good looking. 

So I have a Nvidia GTX 550 ti. hooked to two wide screen monitors.  1 gig mem ddr5. I want to up that to 8 gig. and a better card.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. LOL When I got it it was a middle of the road card. Each year it goes further down the line becoming lower and lower. I don't need 4k but.........😀

49 minutes ago, John said:

Hi Jim thanks for that. I am casually looking for a new graphics card. It is not a priority. 

What was funny is I have Davinci  Resolve which checks ones graphics card and it said it OK but it wont be good for so many things that Resolve can do. LOL 

In using it I found it makes my videos look really good where Vegas Video Pro is, shall we say, not as good looking. 

So I have a Nvidia GTX 550 ti. hooked to two wide screen monitors.  1 gig mem ddr5. I want to up that to 8 gig. and a better card.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. LOL When I got it it was a middle of the road card. Each year it goes further down the line becoming lower and lower. I don't need 4k but.........😀

Hi John,

Either the GTX-1070 or a Vega-64 (AMD's offering that's about equal to a GTX-1080Ti) would both do well.

• Neither will cause high DPC Latency
  • Both have a 0dB fan mode (noiseless when working with audio).

@Jim Roseberry @StarTekh @Tezza

Sorry to keep bugging you guys, but I'm ignorant about all of this.

Does this look like a good one? If so I think I'll order one or even two today.

The PC at work also needs a better card for Autocad. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932062&ignorebbr=1

Edited by Clint Martin

The reason I bought the 1060 6gb 3 months ago was because when I asked people in the know and then did my research, that one came up as the best bang for the buck, especially on the secondhand market because many were upgrading to the 1070 which bought the price of the 1060 down new and secondhand. I cannot really add anything to what I have already said.

I am sure any 10 series card with 3gb up will get the job done. The 1050 has 768 cuda cores while the 1060 has 1200 or so.