devices

new to the whole DAW scean, 
I have my focusrite 2i2 connected to cakewalk and its working fine
I am now trying to connect my roland td-50 drum module, which I can see in the preferences/devices/input drivers but cant select. How do I solve this.

feel it maybe something to do with AISO which I selected for the 2i2

Any help appreciated

Thanks

David 

9 minutes ago, David Bracken said:

I am now trying to connect my roland td-50 drum module, which I can see in the preferences/devices/input drivers but cant select. How do I solve this.

feel it maybe something to do with AISO which I selected for the 2i2

Any help appreciated

Thanks

David 

This is by design with ASIO, it exclusively uses a single device driver at a time. You'd either need to connect the audio outs of the TD-50 to the Focusrite or use the Roland for both playback and recording. You just need to deselect everything from input and output drivers in the Preferences to switch between ASIO devices. 

1 hour ago, David Bracken said:

The Roland TD  Drum module is not an audio interface. you can hook it up with either of these 3 ways.:

1. You can hook it up with MIDI
  2. You can hook it up with audio.
  3. You can hook it up both ways to transmit MIDI and audio

For MIDI, you can use the 5 pIn MIDI out into your 5 PIN MIDI in of your audio interface. if it has one. Or you can hook it up via USB.

For audio, you take 2 1/4" cables and connect therm to 2 inputs of your audio interface and set the appropriate levels in your audio interface.

The MIDI connection is to transmit MIDI data. It has no sounds and is used to trigger soft synths in your DAW or hardware synths.

The audio is sound and will transmit thew TD drum sounds into your DAW

CJ